28. The Past (2)

A/N: Second upload of the day as promised. ^_^

Lovelots!

* * * * * * *

PAST

"Me...linda?" The young duchess opened her mouth before her eyes even met the light on the ceiling. The evidence of weakness can be traced in her voice.

"My baby!" She called out in panic.

"Sshh. Calm down, miss. I'll call the doctor." A female voice uttered in the background.

Duchess Dinah only stared at the stranger who was standing not far from her. She observed that she was in a big room with few beds in it.

After the doctor had checked her vitals, Dinah looked again at her surroundings.

"My... my husband. Where is he staying?"

The other woman stared at her with solemn expression.

"I'm sorry, miss. Your husband..."

The duchess closed her eyes and wailed for sometime. Her partner and best friend had already departed. The pains from shock and loneliness were clashing in her heart.

"Who... who are you?"

"I'm Juliette, miss. Juliette Pieta. My husband is also here for a small medical procedure. It just so happened that you were here in the same room."

"Dinah. You can call me Dinah. Where is my daughter?"

"Your daughter?"

"Yes. She was...with us when..."

Juliette was surprised at the information. No one except for one child was brought to the hospital with the four adults. But the kid is another parent's child.

"What's her name?"

"Melinda."

"They didn't bring any child with that name." Juliette explained slowly to Dinah. The news of the arrival of new patients spread inside the hospital. She only heard the name of the child 'Amelia' because the other mother was frantic and was always calling out her name earlier.

The duchess felt another pain in her heart. The duchess just nodded with tears running down again on her face. She never felt helpless.

Is Melinda missing or...?

"I am very sorry, Dinah." Juliette felt sympathy for the beautiful woman. After a while, she accompanied her husband to the operating room for his procedure.

When they got back to the ward, Dinah was nowhere to be found. Juliette asked the information desk about the beautiful woman but they only told her that her family transferred her to another hospital.

"Awww!" A small voice suddenly cried in the background. A young girl with a bandage on her head was trying to get up from the floor.

"Oh my. Are you okay little girl?" Juliette came to her aid as she saw that the girl was unstable and clumsy with her balance.

The girl nodded and took her time to walk straight.

"Little one, shouldn't you be resting in your room?" Juliette asked in concern.

"I... I need to buy snacks for mommy."

"Hm, do you have money then?"

"No." The girl frowned and only realized that she couldn't buy anything.