51. Stepping Stone

“You don’t know what you’re asking for, Dinah.” Augustine was staring at her after a few minutes of silence. He observed the woman’s desperation. In any given situation, he will give in to his beloved’s request. But the circumstances are complicated and they needed a crafted plan. He needs to talk with Neero as soon as possible.

“I’m.. sure of it.” The duchess sternly said. She shifted her gaze from the man to the windows before a tear escaped her one eye.

“Look at me.” Augustine reached out for her hand and gently turned it towards him, making Dinah’s beautiful emerald eyes look at him.

“Now, I’m going to ask you. Do you really want that?”

“I…I don’t know anymore.” She sobbed, covering her face with both of her hands. The man stiffened and sighed helplessly as he tugged the woman near his body. Dinah wailed for the first time after all these years mostly because of anger.

“Shhhh.” Augustine just let her be and tried to soothe her in his arms until the duchess dried her tears.

“I promise that we will have the justice that you deserve…that your family deserves.”

Dinah nodded and lifted her head from his shoulder. The duchess met his dark grey orbs and was lost for a moment. Those eyes were the same ones which gave her security and assurance when they were younger. Every time she was met with challenges, Augustine was always there. If it wasn’t for the events from that same period, where would destiny lead them?

She subtly shook her head to shake off the improper thoughts. She loved her husband and long gone were the tiny precious  emotions that she had for Augustine. But was it really gone? Dinah shifted from her sitting position and sat straight beside the man.

“Thank you.” She shortly uttered, not knowing what else to say.

“As always.” Augustine shortly replied and stood up. “It’s late. I prefer that you stay until morning. It’s an exhausting drive back to the Salem Estate.”

“No need. I have my chauffeur with me." Dinah politely declined and stood up. She wiped her face gently with tissue paper given by Augustine.

"At least let me accompany you back home." The regal man uttered with finality not giving her a moment to counter. He personally drove Dinah and instructed her driver to join the convoy behind them. He also instructed his personal attendant, who will not be joining them, to contact him for any emergency.

MEANWHILE at the Mudhish Palace, one couple was enjoying the warmth of each other after an intimate round.

"Have you heard?"

"Yes."

"Those leeches were digging their own graves. Fortunately, Neero has great resources and wouldn't be easily defeated."

"Well of course. You taught him, my love." Queen Laura smiled at the thought. Everything that the First Prince has is the product of her husband's mentoring.

"That's why we need him to be crowned."

"For the Jabals."

"For our blood family." King Reuben echoed and kissed his wife on the temple. They've invested so much in the First Prince since his childhood. They needed him for the Jabals dynastic reign. If Neero succeeds, they will wait for a couple of months before making him and his wife cease to exist. That way, the throne would be passed on to him again.

In their Kingdom's law and customs, the first child shall hold the next crown. Neero is their first child but not by blood so many disputes began to arise that time. Many aristocratic families voiced out that each of their first born should have equal opportunity like that of the First Prince -- possessing a first child position and not having a royal family blood. Those instances gave birth to the Crown Prince selection which was effective only in Neero's time.