Ch.6 God's Blessings

"Mother fu-" Marion cursed as the bats attacked him and knocked him over. Luckily, he held onto his gun as he fell over the side of the root, but he ended up upside down hanging by the rope. He fiddled with his gun and slapped it once or twice. Then a pop up showed up hovering over the gun.

[Use Cavalier's Skeleton Key to unlock [unnamed] bolt thrower?]

[Yes-No]

"So wait, because it 'locked up' I can unlock it?" Marion frowned. "And it has no usage limit or mana cost... Isn't this skill broken?"

[Cavalier Corsair brags that it is a portion of his power so of course it would be powerful]

This window was upside down to match Marion and simultaneous mock him since there was a 'This side up' arrow in the corner pointed towards the sky.

Out of the corner of his eye he saw a smug pirate shape on the cliff looking incredibly full of himself

"Quit bragging and help me damn it!" Marion selected 'yes' to unlock and the gun started whirling again. He cocked the level and aimed at the bats as they swooped around for another pass at him.

BRzzzzz Crack. Zzzr Crack. Zzzr Crack. Zzzr Crack. Zzzssss.

Marion unloaded into the bats but after spending all seven shots he needed to reload. The bats had other plans and didn't give him that chance. Instead of swooping by, they latched onto him and started biting.

[Cavalier Corsair shouts that he gave you a sword for a reason.]

"Shut up, I know." Marion cursed and grumbled as he pulled out the sword. He had trained awkwardly with a straight sword a little, however when he gripped the cutlass this time with the intent to use it felt like the handle was made for his hand.

He easily swung it once and two of the bats fell with a single swing that cleaved through them as if it were passing through air. He then stabbed one bat through the head that was clinging to his shoulder and pried it off. He was careful not to nick the rope holding him since a fall from this height meant instant death. Meanwhile, he flailed about trying to get rid of the bat and at a certain point the rest of them, didn't seem like it was worth sticking around and left.

He double checked to make sure he still had his root sample and reoriented himself. Once the bats were gone, he noticed that the red part of the sword had turned back to blue green. He deduced that it changed colors when hostiles were nearby. He grabbed the control panel that had been called a paddle and pressed the button to help him ascend.

The action stressed the wound on Marion's shoulder but other than a few bruises and bites he was fine... as long as he didn't get freaking rabies. He was not looking forward to explaining this to his father. He double checked on Klayus who looked visibly relieved as he also ascended.

However, this situation wasn't without its merits, he learned the forest was much more dangerous than he gave it credit for and got off with some light wounds for the lesson. He also got a broken skill and a nice sword for his trouble.

Once he was back on board, Kaliban fussed over him to make sure his wounds were properly cleaned and then doused them with potion before wrapping them. It was on the more potent side of potions in this world and would fully close the wound within an hour and heal all but the worst wounds within two hours.

Even though he was wrapped up, Marion still set the next destination as another chasm and the crew looked at him like he was crazy.

"Listen here, this is a scratch. I'm not some wastrel who only knows how to give orders and cry." Marion said. "I know the risks and I'm prepared to keep taking them." Marion said boldly and all the crew looked at him with refreshed eyes... until his stomach growled.

"On to the next site!" Marion ordered with a flushed face as he cursed his body that required so much food.

"Sir I have your mid-morning meal prepared as you asked." Kaliban produced a tray with four thermoses on it. Each one had a hearty thick stew that was delicious and would reduce hunger effectively, so it didn't look like he was being a spoiled noble feeding on everyone's provisions. An entire kitchen's worth had been prepared a day earlier and was kept in Kaliban's unique storage skill.

Marion opened the first and downed it so easily that it made Henry balk when he opened the second one, drank it down and then proceeded to the third.

[-side quest updated-

-Predator of the Wilds-

-Kill 10,000 creature of the Cliffgard forest-

-10/10,000-

-Reward:???]

That soured the delicious stew quite a bit and it took everything he had not thrown his thermos overboard.

Marion grumbled as he chewed his food, he started loading his bolt thrower and started calculating how much 10,000 bolts was going to cost.

"No wonder that conniving bastard gave me a sword." Marion chewed his food as he aggressively slapped bolts into his gun.

"Conniving bastard?" Henry asked.

Marion looked up from his task at the curious kid. Most people left him alone when he cursed the gods that favored him.

"Are you a god-fearing man, Henry?" Marion asked, cocking the gun. It whirled threateningly as Marion set the butt against the ground, so it was pointed up into the air. Something about the question made Marion regret not having a cigarette and a bible. Just a little banjo and harmonica would help set the mood.

"My mom has always favored the blessed maiden Lyus, but my father is a great respecter of Grad the god of merchants." Henry swallowed as he watched Marion down the last of the third thermos.

Marion picked up the fourth one and then asked for a scope to put on his gun. It attached with a click and Marion tightened the screws and gears that held it in place. He looked through it and grunted.

"As you know there are many gods. And just as people pick their favorites, so do the gods choose their own." Marion stood up and chucked the cheap thermos overboard and shot it down. "Some gods are obviously louder like Lyus who regularly talks to her chosen saintess. And some are more subtle like Visl who prefers backroom deals and secrets."

Marion then looked down the sight of the scope and fiddled with the screws to fix the sight so it was more centered. "There are seven main gods, but they are far from the only gods. Hence many of the wars over the ages, always coming and going. Conniving, plotting, and biding their time."

Marion walked to the edge of the ship and hooked up a safety line to his harness. Then he cocked the level and aimed his gun over the edge. "Now whether it is providence or sheer dumb luck..."

CRACK! Brzzzz.Ccchank.

"...I have somehow invoked the favor and attention of a particularly troublesome god."

CRACK! Brzzz. Ccchank.

"He claims to be able to help me save my family... so..."

CRACK! Brzzz. Ccchank.

"I'll follow him. So long as he actually helps, not that the smug bastard has been particularly helpful when it comes to finding the Elven spring. But a hint is better than nothing."

[Cavalier Corsair snickers proudly]

Marion grabbed the fourth thermos and chugged it. When he was done, he grimaced since he was still hungry. "Thank you, Kaliban, it was delicious. I'll pay you back for the Thermos I broke."

"It is not a problem at all, just knowing that you enjoy my cooking is all the payment I require." Kaliban bowed.

"Kaliban, you are a silver-tongued snake charmer but if you keep cooking like that I'll have to steal you from my father." Marion winked.

"You flatter me, young master. To follow up on the topic at hand, what is this hint? I admit that my own curiosity has peaked." Kaliban asked respectfully as he casually used high spatial to put away the leftover thermoses.

True Love's Seventh Kissजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें