Ch.39 New Challenger

Having prepared herself to meet Marion who was supposed to be her "superior", she was even more surprised when Whitney heard the countess call her husband by his nickname. She suddenly understood why Marion was a threat. If Seven was the creator of the Seven Star Spar, the advanced training method that created six Sword Saints, then Marion was receiving training from the master that trained her father.

Whitney heard the sounds of combat mixed with some buzzing noises and it was only now that she noticed the odd set up of the tables being set against the banister. The arrangements next to the banister overlooked the green lawn, and she noticed a few men sparring and duke Highwall spectating with a rare smile while chatting with a weak looking gentleman propping himself up with a cane. They men sparring weren't using steel or wooden weapons; they were using strange devices that glowed and resembled swords.

"The Academy has recently commissioned a large number of these devices called Starbrands, so that they can implement the Seven Star Spar as an official part of the advanced curriculum. Have you heard of it?" Irina grinned while producing a decorative feminine model of the Starbrand summoning it from thin air. It was silver vine and flower metalwork over the strengthened glass case with white lace underneath some glass windows that showed the inner clockwork. And strangely enough it matched both Whitney's manner of dress and her personal taste.

"I've heard of the Seven Star Spar from my father, but the Starbrand is new." Whitney did her best to restrain her courtesy as she looked at the beautiful device floating in the air in front of her through Irina's magic to proudly display every angle of its beautiful design.

"This one is modeled after a standard issue Imperial longsword. Why don't you try it, give it a swing or two." Irina held up the Starbrand and noticed the hesitancy and restrained interest in Whitney and knew she only had to push her a little more. "It's already been endorsed by the Knight Grand Commander and his subordinates after rigorous testing." She spun her finger around commanding the device to spin and inch ever closer to Whitney.

"Would you hand a lady of the court a sword?" Whitney asked. She was used to the stagnant disapproval of most socialites. Even if her own peers and family were supportive it always stung how she couldn't even wear a sword outside her personal circles and even though she had one on her waist she was waiting for someone to call her barbaric or ask her to remove it for the safety of the other guests. As if she were a wild beast just because she held a sword even though they ignored the many swords held by the knights and guards.

"Of course," Irina flexed her left wrist with a swish and a white wand appeared in her hand. "I would hand you a wand too, if you asked for it." Irina winked.

Irina noticed the confused expression on not only Whitney's face but also the other young ladies. So she decided to explain. "We are not so numerous here in Cliffgard that we are in the practice of turning away talented persons like male seamsters, nor female blacksmiths. And all users of sword aura and magic are greatly appreciated in our small knighthood and navy. One such valuable swordstress has been key in protecting my daughter from kidnappers most recently."

"Many people brag about their open mindedness in front of others, countess." Whitney said, accepting the Starbrand, plucking it from the air.

"Many people do open minded things to brag and beg for attention, but we don't have the luxury to be anything but open minded." Irina knew she had taken the bait. Then she motioned at the green. "Why don't you put my word to the test, take the Starbrand and go ask my son and husband to join in their games. They are not the types to refuse a chance to swing their swords around."

"I appreciate your consideration, countess." Whitney said and she ignited the sword. She was surprised by its soft light blue glow and the realistic weight that came from it after it was lit.