Ch. 13 Secret Sanctum

So this spell could also disarm traps.

So Broken.

Marion had plenty to complain about when it came to Corsair, but this ability wouldn't be one of them.

Marion selected yes and there were a few clicking noises as the dials turned themselves back and forth until the symbols glowed.

"A gift from the Corsair, I take it?" Novak asked. As a door opened and a stairway presented itself and illuminated with magic stones.

"It came with the sword. I'm starting to worry he wants me to become some kind of master thief." Marion grimaced. "By the way, it disarmed the traps too. How far down it worked I can't say."

"Then allow me to go first, while I may not be as talented as the young master in lock breaking, I have a fair eye for traps." Kaliban offered with a bow.

"By all means, speed is of the essence." Marion said as he allowed Kaliban by him. Then together the three of them descended the passageway. The lower they descended the less finished and wider it became.

"Well, it certainly seems like we are in the right place." Novak said.

"And all the traps are thoroughly disarmed, this Corsair may be a god worth following." Kaliban observed.

"Let us wait until we actually get the Elven spring water and use it before we start erecting any statues." Marion said.

[Cavalier Corsair advises that he prefers flags and themed trinkets over statues and prayers.]

[Cavalier Corsair also advises shyly that small statues and humble prayers aren't bad.]

"Don't think that just because you added 'shyly' that it makes a bastard like you cute." Marion cursed.

[Cavalier Corsair laughs and takes pride that he has chosen you. He regrets that the people of this world get too stuffy and serious when it comes to divine intervention.]

Marion clicked his tongue since he could practically hear the obnoxious god snickering in the background.

Soon the passageway began to wind with roots and glowing Shrikes of great size and purity. With what he had learned about Shrikes, Marion determined that if they were harvested they would be quite valuable.

But that monetary value didn't sway a single member of the party, they pressed on until they came to a long hallway with another door at the end. It was a huge double door large enough for the Dryad's Whisper to fit through. It was excessively decorated with designs of vines and a single tree in the center as if announcing what was behind it.

"This door has a magical seal on it that will activate if the wrong person tries to open the door." Kaliban said after examining it.

"What is the trap?" Novak asked while scratching his chin.

"It's a powerful animation spell, the nearby fauna will turn into dangerous Treants that will defend this place with their life. They will be fueled with holy magic and be... troublesome, even for me." Kaliban advised. "Would you like to try your hand, young master?"

"I suppose it is worth a shot." Marion said as he walked up to the door.

[Use the Cavalier's Skeleton key to disarm traps and unlock the grand door of the High Elves inner sanctum?]

[Yes/No]

"Well, isn't that a kick in the pants," Marion said as he reflected on that little tidbit about the high elves.

"Did it not work?" Novak asked.

Marion selected 'yes' and the magic seal on the door unraveled and it opened on its own.

"We'll talk about it later, just be extra careful, this place is a different kind of sacred." Marion said as he entered.

Marion stepped in and was blown away by the sight before them. A large underground grove stood before them. The mana was incredibly clear and dense. Every tree, flower and plant looked as if it had been plucked from a fairy tale.

Floating orbs of yellow light gathered around the room and danced as if caught on gentle wisps of wind.

At the center of the room was a beautiful small tree and pool of crystal-clear glowing water. It sparkled with mysterious majesty as it actively drew them in. The tree was no bigger than an apple tree with shimmering white leaves and low hanging glowing fruit of its own. The greatest concern was the low rumble that shook the cave's air. The sound of something giant sleeping.

A giant green dragon with antlers for horns slumbered while curled around the pool.

"Remember why we are here, son. It isn't a small thing to steal from a dragon." Novak placed a hand on Marion's shoulder. "We are here for your mother, let's not get greedy."

Marion showed the TWO bottles that Corsair had given him.

Novak swallowed. "Let's not get too greedy."

"Unfortunately, I won't be able to join you from this point on. Master, consider it a symptom of my condition." Kaliban bowed deeply. "I do apologize. You may take my head if you wish for my insubordination."

"That won't be needed. Just be ready to depart in a hurry if we wake the beast." Novak said. "It won't be a quiet escape if that is the case."

"On the way out, I will protect you both with my life." Kaliban stated.

The air in the room was both stuffy and crisp. From the moment they breathed in the air both Marion and Novak felt tingles in every part of their bodies as the dense mana started to seep in through their skin.

Novak felt his condition worsen at an accelerated rate. He looked at his son and couldn't have been more proud of him on this adventure. Even though his bones began to ache as the toxic magic build up in his body was agitated by the air he was still grateful to be here. He knew his next trip into the forest would be his last, and he couldn't have picked a more fitting adventure to spend it on.

Novak grabbed a bottle from his son and then put his finger to his mouth and motioned for him to be quiet. "In and out, we will do this together, for mom."

Marion looked up at his father and nodded.

They carefully walked through the grove. The smell was heavenly since the undisturbed sanctum had been left alone from who knows how many hundreds or even thousands of years since the high elves had left. Small creatures that looked like tiny people with wings watched them tentatively and hid behind leaves and brush.

Marion made note that they were fairies and just part of the ecosystem, but Novak was taken aback by the creatures. They were legendary creatures from folklore, a single one would have possessed great magic and for poachers could have fetched a fortune.

When he noticed his son didn't bother with them, he shook himself from his stupor and remembered why he was here. He was the Count of Cliffgard and if he considered these creatures sentient then they would be considered his people. People he needed to protect and the bounty of this place, although he should consider it taxable the water of the spring would be enough for a lifetime.

If he saw his wife smile again it would be all worth all the fortune in the world.

They made their way over the dragon's tail and noticed that the dragon was sleeping on a pile of gold and gems from that same forgotten era and would be worth an even greater fortune now. But Novak took the earlier cue from his son and focused only on gathering holy water. Together they plunged the bottles into the holy spring disturbing the motionless water with their action.

Then there was lull in the gentle rumbling and a more aggressive rumble shook the ground that sounded like a mix between a purr and a growl.

Both father and son turned to see the bright yellow eye of the dragon looking at them.