Ch.34 Exploring Limits

Marion quickly rushed to his room and changed. He hopped out of one of the windows on the second floor using a rope he had set up for practicing repelling using knots instead of the magic devices on the ships. With a sash tied around his waist there was a simple knot he could do with the rope around his waist and the sash would prevent it from digging into his skin as he repelled down.

While someone was sent to get Henry, Marion wanted to get warmed up and test out the new sword style.

Kaliban had taught him a lot about the basics of fighting with a cutlass. He instructed him on how to use the standard Sky Navy sword style since it was simple and effective. After a year of conditioning and instruction he was fair at it. Last he checked he was mastery level 4/10 with it.

Corsair still wouldn't let him check his stats when he wanted to, he just had to remember and memorize prompts. So he was used to being in the dark, but it also made him more attached to the world in a more visceral way. He didn't see it as a game which he might have if he were focused on stats, and min mazing. He was just able to live in it with the people in the world.

He cherished the people he loved and every moment. As he untied the rope and made his way to where he would meet everyone, he was grateful for the green grass he was able to run on. He breathed in the crisp thick air from living next to a forest. The mansion was far from quiet with the dull roar of life, every once in a while, he would hear the maid burst out laughing from gossip or the knights bantering with each other on patrols. There was a steady hum from the port and often overhead as the sky navy patrolled. Sometimes the naval officers that lived on site and the guards would drink together and the dull sound of ruckus could be heard from whatever corner they found to drink and socialize in. And then on a morning like this they would groan about their hangovers and their mystery concoctions for hangover cures from the kitchen. The gardeners worked in relative peace in concentration, but it wasn't rare to hear them humming or singing as they worked.

It was the sound of life and it had only gotten better since Irina was cured.

When Marion arrived on the green, he warmed up his body with some jumping jacks and then got to work trying to remember all the forms and "move sets". He started with the draw and when he tried to just draw his sword it didn't feel right.

So he tried it again.

Again it wasn't the same.

Again and again, he drew his sword, he threw his shoulder and elbow into the movement. He tried to twist his hips or take a step forward.

[Cavalier Corsair watches you struggle; he advises a running start since the sword style is called Swashbuckler's "Dead Run" you silly person.]

Marion's shoulders slumped at the Corsair's brand of mocking comedy.

"It's called Swashbuckler's 'Dead run'~" Marion mocked in a childish way as he sheathed his sword. He knew the Corsair was probably right, but he was just too smug about it. "Look at me, I'm Corsair, I'm an outer god and I know everything~." Marion pranced to a starting position and then he tried to get his footing straight to start a run.

This time when he threw his shoulder into the motion and drew his blade his muscles seemed to recognize the movement and it felt natural.

"So that it how it works," Marion said. As he tried out a few more moves on his own he put together how important the footwork of this style was. He could probably make whole training days about it... and probably should since skipping leg day was taboo. This was probably why Corsair made him learn dash.

So Marion decided to apply dash as he went through the forms. Once again something was off. And then Corsair spoke up.

[Cavalier Corsair advises that your training must progress here. Mentality is everything when it comes to magic. If you can apply dash to legs, it should make sense to apply dash to your arms too.]