Ch.24 Meeting the Imperial Family

Marion turned to see the crowd parting as three ostentatious people walked towards him. Standing with Delora and his parents to show a united front had dissuaded most of the rabble from making snarky comments when they were greeting their guests and welcomed them to the party.

But the glamorous three that made their way through the crowd weren't just any rabble.

They were wearing the grandest clothing of all and had the most presence. It was no mistake that they were the imperial family.

The emperor, the empress, and their daughter walked in line with one another as if going to battle. The sheer pressure of their majesty and grace seemed to part the crowd as if they were the incarnations of authority. As if looking at them without permission was a crime let alone standing in their way.

Marion felt it but didn't back down. He had faced down a dragon and was now her escort at a ball. After all this time she had worked her way into the family and felt more like his aunt and a guardian, so he did feel comforted by her protective presence.

He was a little disappointed that she didn't show up in his life as some kind of alternative romanceable character, but when it came down to it she was an adult dragon who only saw him as an intriguing child with a peculiar destiny. The only reason she felt like irina was a peer was from her wealth of knowledge about a world Delora felt like a child in. And so Novak and Irina became her friends and which meant it was her responsibility to watch over their children as much as they did.

This was only reinforced when Delora spoke into Marion's mind telepathically which was rare outside her dragon form. "Steel your nerves, Nephew. Watch as your parents demonstrate that no one may look down on the Cliffgards anymore."

Comforted by her word Marion looked at his parents and stood a little higher at their tall and proud appearance in front of the emperor himself.

"Count Cliffgard and family greets the Imperial family." Novak said as formally as possible.

"We Greet the Imperial family, praise be their eternal rule." My mother and I said together.

Then the three of us, excluding Delora, sank to our knees as if before the throne itself. It would have been sufficient to bow normally, but we were in the midst of making a statement. As the hosts of this evening's gatherings our sentiment was loud enough to force the entire room to follow protocol and salute or bow to the imperial family.

There was a cacophony of praise for the Imperial family.

But it had the desired effect, the pressure coming from the emperor in particular seemed to ease up. Since it was now obvious that our declaration of war wasn't against him in particular.

"Count Cliffgard, it is good to see you haven't forgotten where your loyalty lies. You and your family may rise." The emperor said with an easy smile and the three of us rose to our feet. "Countess, I heard you were very ill, it warms my heart to see you walking around in better health."

"It was true miracle, your majesty, I feel endlessly blessed." Irina implied the work of a god. Only further rubbing the declaration of war in the noses of the other gods as if to say it was something they weren't capable of.

The emperor knew the rumors of the implied miracle and then he narrowed his gaze on me, "And this must be the daring young Marion. I heard you have had quite the adventure. You also seem awfully close to this lady. Is she the dragon I've heard so much about?"

"Yes sir, let me introduce you to my son Marion and my wife's esteemed guest Delora the dragon from the Cliffgard forest." Novak said, butting in. "Marion is a captain of a small airship, the type used to gather resources as part of his education to take over the territory. And was instrumental in saving my wife. Delora was someone we stumbled upon in the process and even though she is a resident of the forest, she is staying here as an honored guest of my wife. I'm proud to say they have become quite close to the point of becoming family in her short stay."