Ch.30 Sudden Proposal

"It was just a little fun." Novak said before he had a short coughing fit. Irina slowly lowered him to the ground and Novak had gone four shades paler and the glowing marks on his neck seemed to reach a little higher. His black hair had changed red in some places and flashed when he coughed. But he kept a brave face and laughed it off.

"You look good Irina, did you know your husband was just entertaining every woman at this dance? Just over there, smiling like a fool." the duke accused in a surprisingly childish way.

"Oh hush, Gurrand. You know even better than anyone how thoroughly I trapped Novak with my charms." Irina used a spell to cross the room as if walking through a portal of mist to appear next to her husband as she set the two full grown men back on the ground. "I told him to keep everyone entertained so if he couldn't even use his looks to do so I would have punished him myself."

"Ow." Novak said as Irina swatted him with her hand after she helped him to his feet.

"You can't go all out like that, you silly stupid battle addict. You know your condition has gotten worse after going to the forest with Marion." Irina huffed and held her arm out to help stabilize him on his feet. "And in the presence of the emperor, do you want to die of sickness or beheading!" she admonished again as she slapped Novak again.

"Lady Irina, it warms my heart to see you so active. Are you sure you are eating enough?" Duke Highwall bowed respectfully... even if he couldn't manage the same respect with his words. He then walked over and went to grab his sword, but as he bent over, his sword spun just a few more feet away from him. When he looked at Irina, she stuck her tongue out at him for only a second.

"I am eating plenty, I think you will find that my lifestyle has become much more active recently." Irina said haughtily.

Duke Highwall chuckled and retrieved the swords and returned Novak's to him. "I'm sorry, I couldn't be of more help. I looked everywhere for a Manticore heart, wiseman's flock root, Phoenix eggs, and other cures. I couldn't even find any more information on the elves or more elven springs."

"I'm just happy to see you again, my friend." Novak put his sword away and embraced the duke in an awkward one-sided hug.

The grumpy Duke still couldn't get used to Novak and his style of affection but managed to pat him on the back. "It is good to see you again as well. I was furious that you had gone into the forest again with your condition but I'm glad to see it all worked out. Tell me about it."

Novak released him. "All in good time, we are at a party and there are some people I wish for you to meet. My son Marion especially, I think you will like him."

Walking next to each other they were all noticeably different sizes. So much so that it was hard to see them as peers. If Novak was considered averagely tall at about 5'11" then Duke Highwall was a giant, which made Irina look like a sprite when standing between them.

The girls around Marion who were on the provided pillows to sit on the floor for the story, swiftly stood up and tried to brush off their dresses. Since they had to keep up appearances in front of the number one bachelor in the Empire. Marion stood up and walked over to meet them feeling a stinging bruise to his pride. But he reminded himself that the seven most beautiful and potentially deadly girls in the kingdom were already after him. And then he asked if he really needed more problems on top of them?

He was sobered quite quickly.

"Greetings Duke Highwall." Marion said as he bowed.

"It is good to meet you, I hoped we could have met sooner but most children cry when they see me." The duke said as he rested his hand on his hilt.

"When my father mentioned that he had a friend I almost didn't believe him since he doesn't get out much. I'm glad to finally meet you in the flesh." Marion said as he also rested his hand on the hilt of his sword.

"Down boys," Irina warned as it seemed like we would each pull our sword out and start another fight.

"He definitely takes after you Novak, I can't tell if he is brave or stupid." Duke Highwall chuckled.

"We have one more person to introduce yourself to and then you should probably greet the emperor and ask him to forgive the little stunt you two pulled." Irina said as she waved over Delora.

"This is my new friend Delora." Irina said as Delora approached.

Delora nodded her head for a greeting. "Duke Highwall, Novak and Irina have only said nice things about you. It pleases me to see that you are exactly the man I pictured."

"If you have heard of me from these two, then you may have had some embellished truth sold to you, but I'm glad to see my impression is favorable to you. You are by far the loveliest woman I have ever met." The duke held out his hand for Delora's.

Delora allowed him to cradle her hand and he kissed her knuckle.

"Lady Delora, I feel like I would be missing an opportunity here if I say nothing. I find you are the most beautiful and graceful woman I have ever met. Would you permit me to court you?" The duke asked in front of everyone's rapt attention.

At that moment, Marion shot up in the bachelor rankings in the empire because the ever elusive Duke Highwall announced his intentions to court a dragon... and the good duke was the only person in the room who didn't know she was a dragon...

*

[Youthful Chef] This is an interesting development.

[Foxy Maiden] I certainly think so, but it seems a bit odd to me that you are so fascinated by this event.

[Youthful Chef] Oh my, I guess there are some events that even you don't know about you sly fox.

[Foxy Maiden] Although I want to argue with you, I will bite. What are you talking about?

[Youthful Chef] this event went over everyone's heads last time but remember when the Duke Highwall mysteriously disappeared?

[Foxy Maiden] Of course, it sent the Empire into an uproar and everyone was wondering if he was assassinated and who could assassinate a sword saint. Since he was always chasing elves and elven treasure everyone eventually blamed them.

[Youthful Chef] Then you really don't know what happened?

[Foxy Maiden] Out with it, Chef.

[Youthful Chef] Honestly, I should make you pay for this information, how about one freebie later in return?

[Foxy Maiden] Fine, but it will be at my discretion.

[Youthful Chef] Eh, good enough for me. You see, back after Irina died and Novak fell into a slump, Gurrand went and duked it out with the dragon for revenge until they mutually destroyed each other. And it was Gurrand and Delora who became ghouls and turned into the black dragon and rider that razed the County after it was taken from Marion.

[Foxy Maiden] Oh my... Well then this is a juicy bit of information isn't it. I will make sure to pay you back appropriately.

[Youthful Chef] Love at first sight is probably the reason they became a ghoul pair despite killing each other. It will be interesting to see where things go from here.

[Foxy Maiden] First a dragon and now a Duke. Despite everything the Crown did to beat down the Cliffgards, the Corsair is certainly turning things back in their favor rather quickly.

[Youthful Chef] You can't blame the Crown for all of it, Fox. We all agreed to stifle Novak before he became a sword saint you even proposed to curse Irina.

[Foxy Maiden] It's a different game now, and I've already lost. So I'll just be glad to see a good show at this point. We've kept a hero party from forming for so long, I wonder what will happen if they get together in this empire of villains? Will they gather around Novak now that our spells are unraveling or Marion the newest of the Hero bloodline?

[Youthful Chef] Crown will never allow it.

[Foxy Maiden] Crown has bigger things to worry about this time. How is he going to get that stuck up princess to even have a proper conversation with Marion?

[Youthful Chef] Hahaha you are right that will be a show to see.