Don't Start

Sophia's POV

I slowly walked out of the elevator at Lodge Enterprises. I have a meeting with Hunter and someone the company was planning on collaborating with. The last thing I wanted was to see Hunter but sadly we don't always get what we want.

"Sophia, you are early. Are you here for the meeting?" Jack asked.

I nodded with a smile before sitting down in the waiting area.

"What are you doing? Go inside," he said.

I shook my head. "I'm fine."

He opened Hunter's door and motioned for me to come in. "Sophia's here!"

Jack was never one to pick up on hints. His business failed two years ago and Hunter offered him a job as his secretary until he was back on his feet. Spoiler alert, he's not.

I sighed as I got up and walked to the door. "Thanks, Jack," I said with gritted teeth.

He smiled back as if he didn't notice my sarcasm. "No need to thank me, Sophia."

I rolled my eyes before walking in to see Hunter behind his desk typing away on his computer. He didn't even bother to look up so I just sat in the lounge area of his office. The room was quiet and the tension between us was increasing by the second. This was the first time we were alone together since we separated.

I watched as he quietly read whatever was on his monitor. Hunter looked as handsome as usual.

His jet black hair was neatly combed; not even a strand of hair was out of place. His all-black suit resonated with the powerful and dominant aura he always carried with him. Dammit, why did he have to mess things up between us? He looked calm as he leaned forward to see the words displayed on his monitor. I bet Jack forgot to order his contacts again. I should probably remind him to- Why does it matter to you, Sophia?

I shook my head and then turned away. Yeah, why does it matter to me? We're not together anymore so he isn't my concern. When I turned my head, I saw him looking at me. He quickly looked away and cleared his throat.

"Is there a problem?" I asked.

His jaw ticked. "Why are you here so early?"

"Sorry for me not wanting to be late for an important meeting."

"Oh, so you finally want to be early for your meetings now?" He turned to me with a raised eyebrow.

I could feel anger building up in me. Whenever I'm not doing something right, he has a problem. Whenever I am doing something right, he still has a problem. I can never please him. "You annoy the crap out of me."

"Oh yeah? So do you!" he shouted.

I picked up my bag and walked out, slamming the door behind me.

I hate him. I really do. Maybe we were doomed from the start. Maybe we were meant to be enemies -staying at each other throats forever. Maybe he doesn't deserve me or I don't deserve him. So many maybes. I walked and walked until I found myself in the bathroom crying.

I don't get to cry often but when I do, it's hard to stop. That's why I need to end this before it really starts to begin. I took a tissue and wiped off any tears that formed before reapplying my makeup. I heard a knock on the door.

"Sophia, Mr. Wester is here," Jack's voice said from the other side of the door.

I looked at myself one more time in the mirror before walking out. When I walked out, a hand pulled me back. It was Jack. He looked pitiful.