Talking

Sophia's POV

It was the next day and all I wanted was to forget about yesterday.

I was in my office watching Hunter type an email to a group of employees.

He came in this morning and acted like yesterday never happened. I was thankful for that because I don't think I could've survived the massive argument we probably would've had.

He clicked 'send' before resting his laptop beside him. "Now we wait."

I nodded before getting up and walking to the file cabinets.

There had to be a copy somewhere of the source that keeps making us lose money. Everything here has a paper trail. That's our number one rule.

Hunter began tapping a rhythmic beat on his thighs. I stopped for a moment but decided that he'll probably stop soon.

I searched and searched as Hunter's tapping increased.

"Are you practicing for a marching band or something? Jeez!" I snapped. He was driving me nuts since yesterday.

He stopped. "Sorry."

I shook my head before going back to what I was doing.

A few moments of silence passed before Hunter came and stood next to me. He started to help look for the folder but then stopped.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

I slammed down the folder I had in my hand on top of the cabinet.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

You could hear a bit of annoyance in my voice.

He raised an eyebrow before leaning back into the wall with his hands in his pockets, "you seem a little bit...cold today."

"Do you think you're the only one who gets to act cold Hunter? You do this to me all the time so why is this a problem?"

He thought for a second, "well, that's me. You're better than me."

"Why do you think I'm any better than you? We're the same. Isn't that why you broke up with me?" I interrogated while walking closer to him.

He push his hand out so that I couldn't get any closer.

"We promised we wouldn't fight at work so let's stay civil. People are still watching us," he said before patting me on the head and then continued looking for the folder.

"I can't do that."

He turned to me seeming confused, "What?"

"I can't just pretend that we're fine because we're not. We can't keep going on like this, the fighting will never end."

"Yes, we can."

"What about the media or most importantly, Blaze?"

"Blaze already knows our situation and who cares about the media? People break up all the time."

"Hunter."

"Look, let's try to be peaceful with one another. If it works, then we'll be able to take it from there."

"And if it doesn't?"

"Well, prepare to have countless amounts of arguments with me."

He smirked as he held out his pinky finger to me, "Deal?"

I smiled as I intertwined mine with his, "Deal."

It looks like we're on our way to a friendship again or possibly something far worse than enemies.

...

I stood in front of the microwave with a smile as I watched the popcorn bag open wide and wider.

Moya walked in to get a glass of water. "I didn't know popcorn would get you so excited?"

I shrugged, "you never know what you'll get from inside it."

She raised an eyebrow and looked around, "am I missing something here? It's just popcorn. You'll get popcorn inside of a popcorn bag."

"Hunter and I talked."

She rolled her eyes before starting to walk away.

"Moya!"

"Sophia, stop! You and I both know that it's just a tactic to make you hurt again."

I frowned. She was right. Never in a million years would I have imagined that I would've been so excited because my ex and I 'talked'. What has gotten into me?

I turned away and continued looking at the popcorn. Since when does popcorn take so long to pop?

I could feel the tears already starting to form.

"Sophia..." Moya said in the background but I couldn't look. If I turned, I'd lose it.

I looked down in front of me and saw a neatly wrapped gift in hand. I finally looked up at her. "What's this?"

She sighed, "I wanted to give you later but I feel like you need some cheering up right now."

I smiled before taking the gift and unwrapping it.

When I opened the box under the layers of wrapping paper, it was an album full of pictures of us.

I scanned until I reached a few empty pages.

"Hopefully, we can add some more memories to that."

I couldn't take it anymore. I broke down as she hugged me. "Thank you, Moya."

I began to panic. "But what's this for? Oh no, is it our friendship anniversary? I didn't know we were keeping track of that."

"Calm down, babes. It's just a thank you gift."

I was still lost. I don't remember doing anything lately that needed a thank you gift. Although, I did pull that rock out of her hair but that was like a month ago.

"Without you, I wouldn't have been able to go to law school and my siblings and I would be homeless. I can't stop thanking you enough, Sophia."

I was left speechless. The only thing I could do was hug her.

When the microwave finally went out, she released from my embrace to take it out.

I got a big bowl to throw the popcorn in.

"Hey, Sophia?" Moya called and I turned to her. "What's the deal with that Nathan guy?"

A smile immediately popped up on my face as I wiggled my eyebrows.

She rolled her eyes, "forget it."

"No, wait! What happened?"

She started playing with her rings. "He kind of asked me out to dinner."

"And?"

"And...I told him that I would get back to him."

"Well, what are you waiting for? Get back to him!"

"But-"

"But what?"

"But he's Hunter's lawyer and someone who used to bully you."

"So? He didn't ask me out, he asked you out!"

"So you're...fine with it?"

I nodded my head with a smile before pulling her into the living room with the popcorn bowl in my other hand.

When we reached, Blaze had already fallen asleep. I guess we took too long.

Tonight we were going to watch the new Minions movie.

I gently shook his sleeping body as I went to sit right beside him.

Slowly but surely he woke up and we began the movie.

...
Vote!