Second Place

Sophia's POV

Can we even stand each other enough to work together?

For the past two days, that question has been prevalent in my mind. I hadn't seen Hunter since that day and he didn't try to contact me either.

The doorbell rang then when I opened it, it was dad and Senator Joseph.

Her real name was Leanne but I preferred to address her normally. She even asked if I would like to call her stepmom but I politely declined.

No one will ever replace mom.

I told them to come inside as I went up the stairs to get Blaze.

"Blaze, get your stuff, papa is here!" I shouted before opening the door.

When I walked in, he was on the floor crying. I frowned. "Blaze..."

"I don't wanna go!"

I stooped down so we could be on the same level. "What, why not? Today's the last day for the season after this papa wouldn't make you go anymore."

He folded his arms. He knew this but he was just trying to be stubborn like his father.

"Little CEO stand up, now!" I heard a voice shout.

I turned back angrily, "Dad!"

He ignored me and lifted up Blaze to stand, "CEOs do not cry about simple things. You will come today for the last or I will make you continue."

Blaze started to cry harder.

"Dad, I told you to stop calling him that and don't tell him lies."

"Sophia, I do not want to hear anything from you! You're a great disappointment to your mother and maybe even all mothers. How can you raise a child like this? Let him cry."

I felt tears starting to grow in my eyes.

"Mommy?" Blaze asked as he noticed me.

I looked down at him, "just go just this once. I'll even try to get daddy to come."

He hugged me, "okay, mommy."

I hugged him back as I glared at dad.

He had a proud look on his face and then started to walk out, "come along now before we are late."

After they left, I quickly got ready and wore one of my favorite dresses then headed to Hunter's office.

When I walked in, I saw Jack just walking out of Hunter's office. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me in the direction he was going, "walk with me, Soph."

I looked at him, "do you have something to tell me?"

He looked at me confused as he entered the kitchen and picked up four mugs.

"You told Hunter to ask me for help."

He looked at me with a smirk, "maybe I did."

"Well, you shouldn't have."

"Sophia, you two need each other!"

"Why don't you worry about your own love life?"

The other day, I saw Sabrina posting herself with some guy. She looked like she was having the time of her life. Jack looked a little hurt.

"Jack, I didn't mean to."

He shook his head as he poured out the coffee into the mugs, "don't apologize. You aren't wrong."

I sighed before changing back the subject, "how did you even manage to get Hunter to ask me for help."

He shrugged while lifting the tray full of coffee mugs. "I simply told him that he needed help since you weren't going to do it."

"Hmm, that's unlike him to just listen to you like that. No offense," I said as I followed behind him.

He laughed. "None taken. Plus I may or may not have told him the board said he'll have to resign if he doesn't get his shit together."

"Jack!"

He laughed while pushing Hunter's door open.

When we walked with, Hunter was sitting behind his desk with Zach right in front of him.

As soon as Zach saw me, he immediately jumped up and hugged me. "Sophia, it feels like years since I saw you!"

I was surprised at first nevertheless, I hugged him back. "I missed you too, Zach."

I felt a strong force separate us and when I looked, it was Hunter. He looked irritated by our hug.

"What are you doing here?"

"Relax, I only came to talk business," I said as I showed him my folder filled with documents. He rolled his eyes at me before going back to sit.

I looked back at Zach and he looked like he was struggling to hold in a laugh. He pulled away my folder. "No business talk yet, let's catch up."

The four of us sat down in the lounge area of Hunter's office.

"You know Soph, Hunter's house has been dead without you and the little rascal," Zach said as he sipped his coffee.

"I second that!" Jack said.

"Would you two shut up?" Hunter snapped at them both.

"No," they simultaneously responded and then I laughed.

"Are you seeing anybody?" Zach asked, getting straight to the point.

Before I could answer and say no, Hunter interrupted.

"How about you three stop wasting my time and all get out of my office."

Zach didn't laugh but instead, he gave Hunter a sincere look. He stood up, pulling Jack up with him.

"Nice seeing you again, Sophia," he said before they walked out.

We sat silently in the room as Hunter looked through the folder Zach had taken from me earlier.

He finally looked up at me, "What are these?"

"Well, these are the areas I feel you need to fix to make profits build back up."

He watched me as if he were waiting for me to continue.

"I think pinpointing the areas that are costing the most money will be a great way to find the direct source or sources of the problem."

He nodded, "I see. Maybe it's because I'm desperate but this doesn't sound as pathetic as your past suggestions."

I glared at him, "you know, I'm the one doing you a favor, not the other way around! Will it kill you not to be disrespectful to me for once?"

He gave me a nonchalant look, "but I'm not being disrespectful, I'm simply telling the truth."

I stood up and grabbed my folder, "Forget it! I don't want to do this crap anyway."

He sighed, "wait."

"No," I said as I continued walking out.

My phone suddenly rang.

"Hello?"

"Mommy, where are you and daddy for so long? It's almost my turn."

"We're on our way. Hang in there, B."

I quickly ran back into Hunter's office, "We have to go, now!"

He raised an eyebrow, "what, why?"

"I'll explain on the way, let's just go."

Hunter complied and I filled him in as I drove to the golf course. We ran and ran until we spotted dad and his wife in the crowd of people.

"Are we too late?" I asked, almost out of breath.

Dad shook his head as he pointed to Blaze with some other little kids. He looked up and his eyes widened. He had the brightest smile on his face as he waved to us.

He ended up getting a second place but I was still extremely proud.

After he got his silver medal, he ran to us. He almost fell as if he struggled to run up the hill.

"Mommy, daddy, did you see?"

We both nodded as he hugged us.