Breaking Point

Sophia's POV

I sipped on my margarita as I watched the children play in my backyard.

The friend group complained that we have never had a get-together at my house so I decided to host one.

The guys were in the back standing by the grill as Jack flipped the hamburgers. Typical dads.

I watched Hunter as he stood with a beer in his hand and laughed at one of their jokes.

For the first time in a long time, he decided to give formal wear a break and wore a grey shirt with a black, cargo pants.

Blaze ran crying to him from the other kids. He picked him up and kissed him before continuing to listen to his friends.

His shirt was a size too small because I could see his muscles being printed out on it as the sun hit him directly.

Each time he laughed, I took another sip of my drink.

Everything he did was attractive and I hated him for that exact reason.

He didn't care about my feelings; he only cared about himself.

"Wow, slow down Sophia!" I heard a voice say.

When I turned to look, it was Kennedy. I quickly turned back and looked outside before taking another sip.

"Are you okay?"

I turned to her. "I'll be fine once you leave."

She gave me a guilty look.

"How many times do I have to say sorry Sophia? I know I've been a bitch but jeez, when are you going to finally forgive me? I want us to be us again."

"I did forgive you so you don't need to apologize anymore. I just don't think we should be friends anymore."

"Soph please," she begged.

"Kennedy, how many times do I have to go over this? Each time we have a simple fight you always make it a big deal."

"I won't do that anymore. I promise."

"Yeah, you said that the last three times."

"Sophia, we've all been worried about you- especially me."

I turned to her with a raised eyebrow. "Why would you guys be worried about me?"

She laughed.

"Come on Soph. You don't have to act so tough all the time. Hunter just suddenly broke up with you and on top of that, you're raising a kid. You must be suffering."

I went to take another sip but there was no more margarita left in the cup.

"You miss him, don't you?"

"That's not true..." I said as I used the straw to play with the crushed ice that was left back.

"I sat and watched you stare at him for the past ten minutes, Soph."

I finally got tired and snapped at her.

"Why do you care? It's not any of your business. I'm handling my shit on my own."

All of a sudden, she hugged me. I was so dumbstruck that I didn't even push her away. I just stood there like an idiot.

After what felt like an eternity, she let go of me.

"My number is still the same so you can call me anytime you need to talk. Let's be Ken and Soph again," she said before walking off.

I sighed as I looked down into my empty cup. It looks like I'm going to be needing something way stronger than a margarita.

I walked to my home bar and poured myself some Vodka.

My phone vibrated as I drank a mouthful of the alcoholic beverage. It was Moya.

M: Hey! How are things going?

S: It's ok.

M: Are you sure you don't want me to come?

S: I'm fine. Just enjoy yourself.

I put back down my phone as I poured myself another glass.

I could use Moya's company right now but I didn't want to burden her. She was currently on a date with Nathan.

He stole my best friend away.

Due to them both having busy schedules it's hard for them to see each other so when they're both free -which seldom happens- they go on dates.

"Pour me one, will you?" Hunter asked as he sat down next to me while he held his head.

Seeing him only made me want to drink more.

I picked up the bottle and poured him a shot.

He lifted the small glass in the air before drinking its content.

"I saw that you and Kennedy made up," he said before getting a bigger glass and pouring the Vodka into it.

"What?"

"We saw you guys hug a couple of minutes ago."

I scoffed, "did you see us hugging or her hugging me?"

He looked at me with a smile. "Is there a difference?"

My built-up anger at him couldn't be contained anymore.

"Of course, there's a difference. We both have to want to hug but in this case, I didn't..." I trailed off when I realized he was just messing with me.

I turned back in front of me before going back to drinking.

I felt his warm hand on top of mine and I slowly turned to him. He wasn't laughing anymore but had a worried look on his face.

"What's going on? You've been moping around all day."

I watched his hand which lay on top of mine. My hand was sheltered by any coldness that threatened to reach it.

He always held my hand whenever I needed comfort from him.

His wedding ring was still on. He didn't take it off as he said he would.

I quickly pulled back my hand and he looked at me confused.

"I can't do this," I blurted out.

"What are you talking about?"

"I can't be friends with you." I turned to him. "I thought I could be but I can't."

He kept looking straight in front of him while chugging down his alcohol.

"Aren't you going to say anything? Do you care at all?"

He turned to me, looking irritated. "What do you want me to do? Do you want me to beg you to be friends with me? I won't do it."

"You're an asshole."

"You think I don't know that? I'm fine with being one too. I didn't ask for us to be friends again in that hotel room, you did!"

"You know what I hate about you most? It's the fact that you act like you really care for someone when you don't give a shit."

His grip tightened around the glass.

"Don't you dare lie to me, Sophia."

"I'm not!" I laughed as I took another sip. "It's the truth. You did it to me. You made me think that you loved me and then just got up one morning and decided to end things."

"Sophia-"

A loud bang was heard in the background and I quickly jumped up.

"Sophia! Hunter!"

...
Vote!