Chapter Eight

Mila

"You sure he was sleeping?" Elijah pressed.

"Yes, he was snoring, and when I tried to wake him up, he didn't budge." I took a bite of my chicken salad.

"It was so fucking embarrassing. I can't even imagine what would've happened if he was awake or had heard me."

Elijah and I were on our lunch breaks, talking about my Rome trip since I hadn't seen him properly when I got back. He took a sip of his martini and gave me a look.

"What would you have done if he did hear you?"

"Die. I'd literally die, Elijah." I deadpanned.

"What if he heard you and helped you get off?" He asked, wiggling his brows, and I leaned over and smacked his shoulder.

"He is not attracted to me. If he did happen to hear me and acted like he didn't, it was because he was probably horrified. I haven't even been able to look at him without remembering my dream."

"No man gets mortified when a girl gets off next to him. Trust me. It's like on their bucket list to watch it. Maybe he was watching you and got off too."

My spine tingled as I let myself briefly believe that maybe Damien did hear me and watched me get off to the idea of him, and maybe even, in the process, orgasm as well.

"No..."

"Listen, I'm pretty sure if the guy I'm with is touching himself next to me, I'd be hard just watching him watch me. I mean, it's sex; it's natural. You don't think he gets off?"

"I don't know. He dates, but even that word is loose to describe his love life. I used to get to work, and there would be a list of women to send flowers to, but it's been a while since he left me anything. Do you think maybe he felt it was unprofessional?"

"Or he just isn't sleeping with anyone." He speculated.

I thought about the last time I came to work and had to send presents to his lady lovers, but the last time felt like forever ago.

"Can a man stay celibate for three years?"

"Maybe he's a monk, 'cause I for fucking sure couldn't." Elijah downed his martini in one go as if the thought was blasphemous.

"I haven't had sex since I lost my virginity," I whispered to him. "I mean, that's five years."

"No wonder you have so many sex dreams." He chuckled.

"Yes, I'm sexually frustrated. Thank you for the reminder."

After we finished our lunch, Elijah helped me get a cab before we went our separate ways. I let the cab drop me off by the café so that I could buy Damien something.

I settled on a slice of carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and bought myself a cup of iced coffee. I sipped on my coffee until I reached the surprisingly packed elevator.

It was like the entire building went on their lunch break simultaneously. Since Damien's office was on the top floor, I was the last to get off.

I made it to my desk and placed my iced coffee on the desk before knocking on his. It opened up, but he was speaking on the phone but ushered me to come in.

"Yes, mom. I know. I'll try my best. You know, I have that annual Holiday food drive, and I can't just leave it. Of course, I want to see you and Savannah. I miss you both. Christmas? I'll see what I can do. Yeah, okay. I love you, too. Goodbye."

He hung up and let out a big puff of air. "Ms. Evans, how was your lunch break?"

"It was good. I bought you something." I flashed him the little pink carton in my hand, and his face lit up as he stood up.