Chapter Fourteen

Mila

"So let me get this straight, so I'm all caught up," Elijah spoke.

"Damien, your boss, the guy you're a thousand percent sure isn't into you, buys an entire fucking company just so he could fire the guy who hurt you all those years ago. And he did it all without blinking an eye."

"See, when you say it like that, you make it seem like he likes me."

He waved his hands in my face. "Babes, he sounds like he's in love with you."

"You're insane. Out of your mind. Damien? In love with me?" I gaped up at him. "No fucking way. He dates women that wear Gucci to the gym and dresses that cost more than our entire apartment building."

Elijah didn't look convinced; if possible, he looked more persistent that Damien liked me.

"Uh-huh, so he bought a company so that he could fire him for what? To be nice."

I shrugged my shoulders. "I guess."

"No way you're this oblivious."

"I'm not. Or maybe I am. I don't know. Why hasn't he kissed me then, huh?"

Elijah thought about it for a bit. "Maybe he's scared you're grossed out by his age or something. He does bring up how old he is every chance he gets."

"Yeah, so. I remind him he's not old all the time."

"You called him middle-aged."

"As a compliment!" I exasperated. "Forget it. You're getting me antsy. Tell me about your dating life."

"It's fine, I mean, not nearly as exciting as your life."

I threw a fry at him. "Trust me, it's not exciting."

We finished our lunch catch-up, and since his schedule was more flexible than mine, he had time to walk back with me.

I was tempted to stop by the café to grab a treat for Damien, but it was packed, and the line reached outside the café, and I didn't want to be late.

"Do I actually get to see your boss?" Elijah asked once we stepped out of the elevator.

"Behave," I warned him once we reached my desk. His door abruptly buzzed open, and he stepped out. "Mr. Wilson." I smiled.

His eyes darted from me and then over my shoulder where Elijah stood.

"Who are you?"

"That's Elijah. He's my friend," I answered.

His jaw clenched slightly. "Are you still on your lunch break, Ms. Evans?" He asked, his tone as sharp and as hard as his expression.

"No, I'm not." I stammered, confused.

"Then why is your friend still entertaining you at your desk?" He snapped, the word friend rolling off his tongue in pure disgust, and I stiffened.

"I'm not entertaining her." Elijah defended, but I shook my head at him and then ushered him away with my hand.

"I apologize, Mr. Wilson. It won't happen again." He returned to his office, leaving me standing there feeling tiny and foolish.

"I thought he was nice to you," Elijah said.

"He is. This is the first time he's ever spoken to me like this. Leave before I get into any more trouble."

"You know why he was mad? Because he was freaking jealous." He voiced out his stupid opinion, and I rolled my eyes.

"Go." I waved him off.