Chapter 10~How rude

*Oliver's POV*

Astraphobia, extreme fear of lightning and thunder. Can be triggered by just a weather news of the day's weather forecast. Quite rare, just like so many other phobias that only one ratio ten of the population had extreme fear of lightning.

Obtained from childhood and can be carried on until adulthood. Caused by traumatic events.

Fear of thunderstorms.

I closed my laptop as soon as I finished the blog on astraphobia. I've never treated anyone with such a phobia, so I wanted to read a little about it. Fun fact, it was pouring outside. That was actually what made me want to check it out.

My last patient for the day was still at the lobby, with his mother, waiting for the rain to reduce a bit. He had a not-so-severe case of autism and it was noticed early. He was getting a lot better, which means, more communication. And he was starting to share his stuff with others, even if it was only his deskmate, Elaine.

I was presently watching him share his scarf with his mother. I was proud of how brave he was to accept he was different and his need to change his approach towards life.

His constant screams and shivers, when a lighting stroke didn't go unnoticed by me. It was normal for a six-year-old. Every child should be scared of lightning and thunder. But he was different. He wasn't scared of that, he was scared of the noise which it produced along with it. One of the major symptoms of autism is hate for loud noises. This was due to their sensitive ears.

Ten minutes to the close of work and the rain finally stopped. That I was grateful for.
"Goodbye, Dr. Johnson. Thank you so much for your help once again." The patient's mother called out as she opened the double door and headed out with her arms wrapped tightly around her son.

"John?" She said as she absurdly stopped and glared down at her son.
"Goodbye, sir," John said in a mere whisper looking down.

"Byee," I said loud enough and waved with a large smile on my face.

They soon left the ' SAFE HOUSE ' at my workplace. I owned it and gave it that name. It was just a little building, with enough equipment, where I carried out my psychiatric work. I couldn't call it a psychiatric hospital because it was so small and I didn't deal with crazy mad people, just the abnormal ones at an early stage. They were slightly different from each other due to their psychological problem.

So I could say it was safe for all. That was why I named it -SAFE HOUSE.
My little clinic.

I briefly arranged some files, closed the windows, and swiftly switched off all electrical appliances. I picked up my keys ready to lock the place.

I stepped out with an umbrella, about to bolt the doors, when I heard a scream behind me as soon as a lightning bolt struck.

I looked behind me, expecting to see a little child, but instead, my gaze was met with an adult. She had managed to curl herself into the smallest ball she could form and her hands, holding her hood tightly. I guess it wasn't yet time to go home, so I decided to comfort her a little and render any help possible.
So much for a good Doctor.

"Are you okay?" I asked softly Stuarting down to her level and pushing the umbrella over her head.

She screamed again as soon as she heard another thunder. Such a scary cat. "No!... I'm freaking scared, you can see that!" She yelled out in frustration. I just let out a stiff laugh.

"Then you don't need my help, I guess. I was about to leave anyway." I said and she absurdly stood up.

"How rude of you to plan to leave a lady out here to die of fear and cold. You are much more heartless than I have heard of." She sniffed as she looked up, glaring at me. I finally got to see her face.

She was all red, at least her cheeks and button nose were. She looked like she had been crying for hours. Her brown hair was drained with the rain, and her hazel eyes held anger. She was angry at me, but I didn't do anything. She was short and had to look up to meet my gaze.

"How rude of you to yell at me when I was just asking a question and accuse me of being heartless," I said looking down at her flushed cheeks.

"I don't like you one bit." She said to me, but it looked like she was convincing herself.

"And I don't care if you do," I said with a smirk. "If you can move away, I would like to go home and cuddle my cat," I said as I walked passed her.

"So you aren't that heartless after all..." She trailed off, but I heard her correctly.

Then I began to wonder where I had seen those pairs of Hazel orbs, so big and enticing.

"Are you a stalker?...no, you must be one of my stalkers," I said as I turned around.

The area where I lived and worked was filled with crazy-obsessed girls. Who just want to be in your life, and if you don't allow them., they will stalk you into it. And I was hell-bent on not letting that happen.

"No...me?...never!" She said again, avoiding my gaze.

"Crazy..." I mumbled as I turned around to leave.

If it was during my working hours, I would have helped...I promise.

Who am I kidding, I hardly talked to anyone, except you were money. If I wasn't paid for my services, I would not render them at all...call me heartless, but I cared less.

But the way this girl was sounding, I kinda felt heartless.

I turned back after taking ten feet away. She sat back on the ground, curling herself again and hiding under her hood. She was crying. Was she this scared? Or was she just seeking attention?

I found myself turning around to meet her, no matter how much I told myself this was a waste of time and how much my cat would miss me.

"Are you okay?" I asked again. This was always the first question in every session. This was to assess the patient's fears.

"No...I'm not okay!" She yelled again. And I was about to leave when she stood along with me and hugged me as soon as the thunder roared again.

I stood there, not knowing how to respond to this. Why was she hugging me? And why was she bent on staining my white shirt with tears?

She was sobbing uncontrollably, and I just had to comfort her. It was kinda hard. I know I should do what I taught but it was harder than I expected to comfort a stranger, much more a rude and feisty one.

"It's okay, no one will hurt you. I will protect you." I said in a soothing tone as I patted her back.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I am."

"Forever?..." She asked as she raised her head a looked deep into my eyes, with those enticing orbs of hers.

"Forever."

I was told never to lie to a patient except it was necessary to calm them down. So I did. I lied to this petty girl I just met a few minutes ago.

Somehow, I wanted to mean it.
I wanted this to be the truth.