Chapter 16~ Memories

*Jessica's POV*

I was sitting on my side of the couch in my rented apartment with Lily. I kept arguing that the right side of this memory couch was better than the left. After much argument and fights and cries, we agreed to disagree. Let me tell you the story of the memory couch.

Lily and I have been friends since our first year of high school. She was a new girl in the school and I was the nerdy girl no one wanted to play with. If any of my schoolmates saw me now they would be so shocked. I didn't glow up, until my last year in college. Lily was everyone's friend, and teacher's pet, even the janitor had a crush on her. She was just a social butterfly, and I was the opposite. After a traumatic event that occurred when I was only six in elementary school, I locked myself up from the world and only let Granny and Lily in.

Lily wasn't so good at any subject, beauty was her thing, and I was the brain. Always had the highest grades and got a lot of friends during class projects, examination periods, and school competitions.

That Monday, the teacher announced a trade fair, and I was nominated to go, but I had stage fright and social anxiety, even if I knew all what to say and do and market the goods, I couldn't say a word. Lily was nominated to replace me, but she didn't have the brain. She knew how to talk and market, but didn't know the strategies and the calculations. Let's just say she was bad at maths and economics.

We got paired together, I was to teach her everything I know so she can do a great job for the school. And I agreed and indeed taught her everything. She was so hard to teach and kept getting distracted, she had potential, just too lazy to unlock it.

She did well in the trade fair and came running to my house to thank me. I didn't go to the trade fair, but the good news reached my ears. Turns out Lily remembered the way to my house even if she kept lying she didn't, so I could come pick her up at her house and play a little with her, in her majestic tree house. Lily had rich parents and lived comfortably.

Lily came knocking on my door, panting like a mad dog and I was dragged out of my comfort zone. Lily always dragged me out and that was how I fought my social anxiety but before then we got into trouble.

We saw a yard sale on our way to get ice cream and celebrate her success, her way of a thank you. Then we saw this majestic old couch I was sitting on. Lily was a troublemaker as always. At the yard sales, Lily was still so excited about the trade fair and wouldn't stop getting buyers to get stuff. That wasn't the problem, the problem was, we got too into the game and started pricing a shining yellow couch, two-seaters, just for me and Lily, she said it would fit in our secret hidden. But we had no money. The owner was so excited to sell and we went on and on testing the couch, until I tripped and hit a customer who was with a cup of coffee. It stained the couch and was fast to spread all over the couch, messing it up.

We started running as fast as we could, away from the mess we created. Sadly the next morning I heard granny having a conversation with a man and the next minute my ears we being dragged down to Lily's house and Lily's ears also dragged as we cried hard as we got to the yard sales again and started scrubbing the couch clean. That continued for two whole weeks, after school, we kept scrubbing, but the stupid coffee still wasn't fully out till today.

That doesn't answer the question of how the couch is still here...well, I and Lily was so hurt and offended and said our sweat would not go in vain. So we saved up, worked our ass out until we bought the couch ourselves. Till now, each time we relocated we went with the coffee-spilled couch. The right side was better because I was the first person to sit on the right side of the couch as soon as we made a complete payment, Lily thinks the left is better because that was where the coffee spilled. The stain was so faint now, but if you looked real deep, you could still see it.