chapter 7

-y/n's pov-
in a mood from struggling with math homework, I thumped my fists onto my desk in anger, expecting something on the desk to fall. but to my surprise, about five books on the shelf behind me topple to the floor.
"shit shit shit" I scold myself "what is wrong with me?! this is the third time now!"
I get up and head to the shelf and begin replacing the books until I hear the front door unlock and once it does the voice of my adoptive father, marty, echo throughout the house.
"Y/n! I'm home!"
"oh, hey dad!" I call back.
"how was last night, with your friends?" he asks when climbing up the stairs to come see me in my room.
"it was good" I simply reply.
"ah okay, who's house was it, again?" he asks, now leaning against my doorframe.
"jane and will" I remind him, now competed with the task of tidying my bookshelf.
"ooo" he teased "a boy, huh?"
"ugh! dad!" I groan at him, "is it like illegal now to have a friend who's a boy?!"
"alright, alright, calm down" he chuckled before leaving my room, not forgetting to give me a sly smirk before he did.
I'm honestly getting sick of him assuming things about me though, but he is a nice guy so I'm sure he wouldn't be too mad if I told him the truth. the truth being I wasn't interested in the boy, any boy as a matter of fact.
I returned back to my desk to continue with my work, this time letting the sound of 'The Smiths' songs blast through my tape player.

-time skip to next day-

chatting amongst us, me, jane and will strolled through the halls of the dreaded high school we attend. suddenly, I felt a hand on my back shove me causing me to stumble a little. anger flickered inside me as I regained my stand whilst turning to face whoever just pushed me. oh and what a surprise, it was angela. of course.
"what do you want?" I snarled at her.
"oh, nothing, really" she replied back with a fake sympathetic tone. but before she could speak another sassy word I spoke up again,
"hey angela, your shoes are untied." she glanced down at her shoes but just as she did I flicked her in the face with my fingers. she glared back up at me, anger visible in her eyes.
but instead of her attacking me, she stepped aside to let her boyfriend and his other friend approach me.

It'd be a lie to say I was scared, because I wasn't scared.

I was petrified.

the closer they got, the more I cowered back. god knows what they were going to do to me. god knows what they could do to me.

jake was now standing tall and strong, right in front of me. he stared down at me as I stared up at him. his tough, beefy hand grabbed me by the neck of my shirt and he pulled me up a little so I was dangling from his hold. the front of my trainers were grazing the tile flooring of the school halls.
"let her down jake" will mumbled quietly, he too was terrified.
jake didn't listen, nobody did, probably because they couldn't hear him. jake raised his other hand and clenched it into a fist, my eyes squeezed shut as they prepared for impact.

but once they closed something switched on inside of me, something unexplainable but yet so familiar.

-flashback-

"ORUZHIYE-27" the large russian man bellowed at me in a broken english "YOU WILL DO THIS ELSE FACE PUNISHMENT"

I was in the huge man's grip, his hand was wrapped tightly around my neck, suffocating me as I dangled in the air. a feeling turned on inside of me, almost like anger, but way way stronger. my eyes shot shut and I let out a ear-piercing yell, the sound of clunking metal was heard in the distance and it grew closer and closer until it reached me and the russian man, that was when the sound stopped. my eyes peeled open as I inspected my surroundings, all the guns and other weapons, once hung up on the walls of the corridor had crumpled and fell to the cold floor. a stream of red blood trickled throughout my nose, meeting my top lip. anger still bubbling inside of me, I stared up at the man, detecting fear in his own eyes. I concentrated hard and shortly after the man's eyes popped into his skull and once they were no longer visible he collapsed to the floor.
cold dead.

-end of flashback-

a snapping noise was heard and shortly after a pained yell. but then a more louder noise occurred. the sound of thin plates of metal smashing echoed through the halls, the sound getting louder and louder until it eventually stopped. I opened my eyes to find all the lockers that once occupied this corridor had crumpled up and completely fell of their hinges. jake let me go and I fell to the floor, on my knees I slowly stood up, letting the blood drip from my nose as I glared up at jake.
"MY WRIST" jake shrieked "MY WRIST!! ITS BROKEN!!" he began to freak out and jump about, I managed to slip away into the girl's bathroom and once I was in there I sprinted to the closest cubicle and slammed the door shut behind me, making sure to lock it as tears streamed down my face. I slumped onto the wall and slowly slid down and I eventually met the floor where I hugged my knees and dug my face into them, letting the tears flow, damping my jeans.

a few minutes passed before I heard a soft voice, from the other side of the door.
"y/n?" it was jane, "can I come in?"
I stood up and unlocked the door, revealing jane nervously stood on the other side. I let out a long sigh before rambling,
"jane, I'm so so sorry, okay? you probably think I'm a monster, and you're right. I am a monster. I just can't control it... I- I don't know what's wrong with me and-"
but before I could finish jane stepped forward and pulled me into a tight hug, I was confused at first but quickly melted into her warmth. it was a nice, loving feeling, I felt protected for once in my life. eventually she pulled away and looked me straight in the eye.
"you're not a monster." she spoke confidently like she meant it.
slowly she pulled on the sleeve of her plaid shirt to reveal the number '011' tattooed onto her wrist. copying her actions, I pulled on my sleeve to show her my own tattoo 'O-27'
confusion painted her face as she looked down at my wrist. but then her expressions quickly changed to realisation.
"y/n.." she said quietly, it was barely above a whisper "there's- there's something I need to show you.. it's- it's at my house so.. so you'll have to come round mine later.. if that's okay with you?"
I looked up from her wrist and back into her brown, doe eyes before nodding.
"yeah.. yeah that's fine" I said.

and with that, we left the bathroom and made our way to class.