chapter 9

-march 21st 1986-
-time skip bc those last few chapters were introductory chapters so now for the main story 😎-
-el's pov-
'Dear Mike,
Today is day 185,
It feels more like 10 years!! Joyce says time is funny like that. Emotions can make time speed up or slow down, we're all time travellers if you think about it. For example, this week is going very fast, I think because I am so busy! I have to make something called a visual aid, I hope Mrs Gracey will give me an A. Will is painting a lot, but he won't show me what he's working on, maybe it is for a girl, y/n perhaps? Jonathan has been acting weird but I think he's just nervous about college, he's still waiting for his big letter. I hope he and Nancy get to go together, but I don't know how he'll ever get to college because his car is still broken! His funny friend Argyle has been taking us to school, his hair is longer than mine!! He and Jonathan like to smoke smelly plants together. Jonathan says the plants are super safe because they come from the Earth but to not tell Joyce. Y/n always finds it super funny when he says that though, which I don't understand why. But I think I have finally adapted, I even like school now, I have made lots of new friends, like y/n, she comes around almost every weekend, it's nice to have a friend like her. Even so, I am ready for spring break, mostly because I get to see you. I'm sure you'll love it here and maybe you and y/n can become friends, I just cannot wait!!
We will have the best spring break ever.
Love El.'
I carefully wrote but my eyes lingered over the words 'y/n', 'friend' and 'will likes' I mean, yes she is my friend. No scratch that, one of my best friends but sometimes I can't help but wonder if we're more than that. She probably doesn't think that though, I'm sure she just thinks of me as a best friend or something, but then my eyes crossed the page to look at where I wrote about Will painting a lot and that it might be for y/n, this made me feel.. jealous almost, that's the word.
Nevertheless, I pack up my bag and trek out to the surfer boy pizza van, once me, will, jonathan and argyle were in the van, argyle slammed on the pedal and the van went zooming off down the roads.

As usual, y/n was patiently waiting outside the front gates, as soon as argyle opened the door, I leapt out and sprinted up to y/n before attacking her with a hug.
"Easy now" she chuckled.
"I can't believe it's spring break tomorrow!" I squealed "you're finally gonna get to meet Mike!"
"Oh" her facial expressions dropped before they raised back up again "yeah, yeah it's gonna be great."
I chose to ignore the weird feeling in my stomach telling me y/n was being a little sarcastic. Alas, me, y/n and will head into the school building. I smiled when I saw the large banner with colourful letters on it reading 'DAYS UNTIL SPRING BREAK: 1'
Happily, we all walked into Mrs Gracey's classroom with our visual aids before taking our seats. But as soon as I sat down, I felt something hit the side of my face as I brushed it off I heard laughter from the other side of the room, it was angela and jake again. but y/n must've noticed what they had done because she was glaring right at them, suddenly a small flame of fire was seen in angela's hair and soon enough angela was in a panic trying to stop the flame.
"JAKE HELP" she screamed "MY HAIR!! ITS ON FIRE!!"
Jake quickly stood up and clapped his hands on the fire, causing it to die out, leaving a singed patch of hair on Angela's head.
"ugh!" She complained after noticing the burned patch of hair. I turned to my right to face y/n, she was in hysterics with a small stream of blood dripping from her nose.
"y/n!" I playfully scolded.
"what?" she laughed "it's just karma!"
I giggled a little before facing the front of class again.

-time skip-
"After learning to speak.." Angela rambled on about her presentation, "she travelled the world to spread her message and along the way, changed how the world perceived those like her with disabilities. And that is why I have chosen Helen Keller as my hero."
The whole class burst into applaud, well, everyone except y/n but I couldn't blame her.
"That was wonderful Angela!" Mrs Gracey congratulated "truly wonderful, what an inspiring story. Okay, now let's see who has to follow that."
Mrs Gracey put on her glasses and dipped her hand into the glass bowl, pulling out a slip of paper.

"Jane."

A few light claps were heard until a loud cheer and multiple claps were heard, them of course being from
y/n, she gave me an encouraging smile as I slowly got up and headed to the front of the classroom.
"Hi." I nervously spoke, "for my hero, I- I chose my dad, and for my visual aid, I made a direyama of our cabin."
"More like diarrhea," jake sniggered, erupts of laughter were heard throughout the room.
"oh yeah because that's funny, isn't it?" y/n sarcastically said above all the laughter, earning multiple glances from people in the room.
"Quite everyone, let's be respectful" Mrs Gracey warned.
"This is my dad" I speak whilst lifting a model of my dad, "his name is hopper, he made the best eggos and... we liked to watch Miami vice on Fridays." I then held up a model squirrel "this is mr fibbly, he is a squirrel."
More laughter was heard, I could feel myself going red from embarrassment which quickly faded away when I saw y/n give me another one of her encouraging smiles, I weakly grinned back.
"And this is the alarm, that my dad made" I continued "I- I was never scared because.. because"
Angela raised her hand.
"Angela, let's save questions until the end of Jane's presentation." Mrs Gracey sternly spoke.
"Yeah, sorry" Angela said, her voice dripping with sarcasm "I'm just like, confused. I thought this was a presentation about a historical hero."
"My dad was in the newspaper" I informed her.
"Your local paper?" Angela laughed, "I just don't think that's what Mrs Gracey meant by historical. This is supposed to be about famous people."
"My dad is famous" my grip on the box grew tighter "he saved lots of lives, in a mall fire, he was a hero for people and he was my hero too."
"That's not what I'm saying at all but it's okay." Angela teased "I am so sorry Mrs Gracey, I didn't mean to interrupt. I just wanted clarity on the rules of the assignment"
"Well technically, you are correct" Mrs Gracey told her "but Jane has decided to do her father. So, please continue with your presentation Jane."
I could feel the tears streaming down from my eyes across my cheeks.

The bell signalling end of class rang and everyone left in a hurry "El, it wasn't that bad." Will assured me, as he and y/n scurried after me.
"Friends don't lie" I told him.
"I'm not lying" he answered.
"El please.." y/n said but I didn't listen and continued to storm through the hallways.

-time skip-
-y/n's pov-
SLAM
that was the sound of my math test hitting my desk.
"This is worse than last time" the teacher tutted before leaving me to look at my score, 14, AKA an F, AKA a fail.
"dang it" I mutter to myself before looking over to Jane who looks equally as upset, she also has an F written on her paper in a red marker.

-time skip-
"ah, don't worry about it, it's only some lame math test" I reassure El, it seems to cheer her up a little.
Suddenly, El went crashing to the floor.
"shit, El are you alright?" I knelt down beside her but instead of turning to face me, she looked up at whoever just tripped her. I followed her gaze to see a sly Angela with the biggest smirk on her face.
"oh my god" angela laughed "I am so sorry, I hope mr fibbly's okay"
her and her stupid posse began walking off as I helped El up but then one of the boys in the group stomped on El's diorama, my eyebrows furrowed into a pose which only showed anger but before I could act, El was already at it.
"ANGELA!" She shouted as she approached her, angela slowly turned around to be met with a screaming El with her hand pointed out at her.
The crowd went silent causing a very awkward silence as everyone gave weird looks at El.
"Holy Shit!" Angela burst into hysterics.
"What the hell was that?!" Stacey cackled, causing the large crowd to laugh along. El's arm slowly fell down to her side, consumed in embarrassment she cowered down. Now this is my moment.
"Oh, you wanna know what that was, huh?" I asked whilst walking closer to angela, she just looked me up and down before speaking,
"yeah, I do wanna know."
"alright," I shrugged "you asked for it."
I bowed my head down slightly before abruptly lifting it up, Angela's expensive shoes burst into flames.
"WHAT THE FUCK" she yelled as she jumped about trying to put out the fire, all of her friends now helping too, they managed to put it out but it left a scared Angela standing there with burn marks all up her shins and her shoes were now so burnt and scrawny you could no longer call them shoes.
"IT WAS YOU EARLIER, WASN'T IT? YOU SET MY HAIR ON FIRE, YOU FREAK. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!?" she yelled, sure those words hurt but I'd heard them so many times they meant nothing to me. I gave her a light, sarcastic smile before disappearing into the shocked crowd.