chapter 20

-el's pov-
y/n had recently entered my room after waiting outside for me to get changed into sweatpants and a sweatshirt, which were of course the plain basic white in colour as per usual.

"these people really don't know how to decorate rooms, do they?" chuckled y/n as she searched the rusty room covered head to toe with wires and pipes. I smiled weakly at her comment.
"you're really brave for doing this y'know, especially for the sake of your town that you no longer live in," she spoke, "I wish I had a town to protect and call my own, I mean, there is lenora but ehh.. I just don't think I fit."
"don't think you fit?" I repeated, a little confused.
"yeah, y'know like- like I'm different or something, not in a good way either." she said with a sulking expression.

now everything had clicked.
y/n felt different.
she felt as if she didn't belong,
anywhere.

and that's exactly how I feel.

"you're not the only one," I told her, "I feel different too, but maybe we can be different together?.."

she laughed half-heartedly before answering, "yeah, that'd be nice." she smiled wearily, "but.." her voice quietened, "I don't know.. sometimes I feel different in other ways.."

"what do you mean by that?" I inquired.

she let out a long sigh, she seemed tired, "I'm not sure if you're going to understand this but.." her eyes began to dart about, her gaze never leaving the cold floor as she fidgeted with her fingers. her fingertips occasionally setting aflame before she blew them out, "you know how boys usually like girls and girls usually like boys, right?"

I nodded along, showing that I understood.

"well, I'm not like that. I'm different from that. I like girls el." her hands had stopped shaking and she broke her transfixed gaze from the floor to look into my eyes.

"I like you."

a strong fluttery feeling erupted in my stomach like a volcano, my heart began to ache but not in a painful sort of pain. in a love sort of pain? I'm not to sure if that's a thing but it now is in my books.

"I like you too."

the corners of my lips tugged at a smile that I couldn't resist, and by the looks of it y/n wasn't planning on fighting away the huge grin that her face wore.

slowly, we began to lean in as if gravity was pulling us closer like we were two magnets. my lips parted as I got closer and closer to y/n. but just as our lips were about to meet the door burst open.

"alrighty! so I brought you two a microwave meal each-" owens paused when he saw us, sitting next to eachother with our lips about to crash into eachother. "um- I'll just leave it here" he said with a light chuckle as he placed the two microwaveable lasagnes on the thin metal table with a clanging noise of the two metals bumping one another, he then left the room not forgetting to close the door behind him.

with one shared look, y/n and I then hurled over into a fit of laughter.

"god! I haven't eaten in days!" y/n exclaimed whilst running up to the table, me following in her footsteps shortly after.

we both wolfed down our food at a record breaking pace due to us not haven eaten since murray's risotto almost 4 days ago now.

"this is probably the first and last time I'm going to say this but-" she wiped her mouth with her sleeve, "that's gotta be one of the nicest meals I've ever had despite the fact that it's the cheapest of the cheap microwave meal that's been stored underground for what looks like a couple months!"

"it's even better than murrary's rissoto?" I quizzed.

"oh of course not, nothing can beat that!" she laughed, her laugh obviously being infectious set me into another fit of giggles.

her tiredness too must've been infectious because after she let out a long yawn, I felt forced to do the same. or maybe that's just how human being stuff works? either way I fell back onto my bed, my head sinking into the soft pillow with sleepy eyes that threatened to close any second.

"you sleepy?" asked y/n as she tiredly rubbed her right eye.

I nodded as I patted the bed beside me, she stumbled over before crawling under the thin-layered covers beside me. the sheets of the bed were cold, I felt my teeth chatter and a freezing chill tingled my bones.

"you cold?" y/n's soft voice spoke from beside me.

"yeah.." I mumbled back, I then heard the flick of a switch and the lights died out a second later. assuming it was y/n using her powers to turn off the artificial light that shone weakly, barely giving the room light, I tried my best to get comfortable.

until an exceedingly warm sensation wrapped itself around me. I sunk into the nice feeling as it engulfed me whole, I felt comforted and snug and I also felt movement by the crook of my neck. I soon realised it was y/n nuzzling her head into the gap, I placed a cold hand on the side of her face and my hand instantly became heated. I quickly drifted asleep, my hand still remained caressing her face. my sleeping body now completely submerged into the heat that y/n brought with her useful radiator-like features.