chapter 21

-march 26th 1986-
-y/n's pov-
my arm was loosely tied around el's waist as she snored lightly in her sleep. my arm broke away from her side and I saw her shiver a little, despite me not being able to feel the cold I still knew that it must've been at least a bit chilly due to us being literally six feet under, or maybe more. I headed to the door and quietly slipped out before heading in the direction of my own room so I could get ready for the day.

-time skip-

I watched through the one-way window as el attempted to crush the coca-cola can with her mind. her eyebrows furrowed as she stared down at the can but no matter how hard she concentrated the can wouldn't even scratch.

"we're running out of time here martin," owens announced, "hawkins is running out of time."
"I understand the stakes quite well," brenner informed.
"y'know sometimes I wonder if you really do, or maybe you've done all of this cause you've missed your
daddy-daughter time and you've just been wanting to meet that missing experiment of yours." owens argued.
brenner turned slightly to side-glare him.
"I've given you everything you've asked for," continued owens, "I've compromised my principles. I've risked my life, my family's life. All because you assured me this would work-"
"stop bickering!" I snapped, gaining the two men's attention, "didn't you say.." I shuffled on my feet to face brenner, "that you believe when me and el use our powers at the same time they'll be stronger or something?"
both of the men's expressions perked up.
"I did say that, yes." brenner confirmed.
"so, if I use my powers whilst el tries crushing the can.." I trail off.
"the can might crush." owens finishes for me.

—————

the door had just slammed shut behind me as I was lead into the room el sat in.

she looked at me with a puzzled face.

"look, I'm going to use my powers whilst you try crushing the can," I explained, "we'll see if it works."

el just nodded and returned her focus to the can.

I let out a deep breath as I began to let two burning flames spread up my arms. it was a breathtaking sight, seeing fire crackle away, especially when it's crackling away on your very own skin.

suddenly, a crunching noise occurred to my left. I spun around to find a crushed can of coke and el who was fighting away the temptation to proudly smirk.

——————

"so," brenner spoke, me and el now sat on her bed with our legs dangling over the side, "that concludes and proves my theory."

our faces lightened up just like how our hearts sparked with hope.

"but, eleven you still need to progress a lot if you want to win this war." brenner reminded her, "you're going to need to return back to your past.
for one last time."

all three pairs of eyes gazed across the room to inspect el's costume that she wore in the water tank.

——————

el sat in a chair with a doctor rubbing a gel on her arm so it wouldn't hurt too bad when the needle was inserted into her flesh and veins.

unlike last time, she did not wince when the thin piece of metal entered her arm, she stayed still as if nothing had ever happened.

with the help of me, she re-entered the pool of water. the water took ahold of her yet again and she rested afloat on top. the chamber door began to shut and I gave her a smile along with a small salute using two of my fingers just before it fully closed and she submerged into the darkness.

—————

I now waited in the control room with brenner and owens.

"how much time did you skip?" owens asked.
"enough." brenner simply replied before strolling off to the other side of the room leaving me and owens in a reverie of concerned thoughts.