chapter 10

-march 22nd 1986-
-y/n's pov-
"here you go will, happy birthday!" I cheered whilst handing will the gift I bought for him, his lips tugged at a smile and he thanked me, elatedly.
the others didn't pay attention to this, they were too busy looking out for mike at the airport, I sat between el and will, after my exchange with will I turned to face el.
"um.." after hearing a voice she turned around to look at me, her chocolate brown eyes bore into my own but she is unaware of the flutter in my heart she is causing. Alas, I continue, "I know we never really got to talk about what happened yesterday.. at school with angela and stuff, and I just wanted to say that I'm sorry if y'know I upset you or-"
but I was cutoff but her answering,
"y/n, it's fine" she smiled "I think it's nice you stood up for me like that!"
it felt as if the weight on my shoulders that was practically crushing me had been lifted off.
"you thought it was nice?" I asked, a little flustered.
"yeah!" she beamed causing a light blush to appear on my cheeks, suddenly the loud airport speaker bellowed out,
"Flight 623 just landed from Indianapolis, and will be arriving at gate 2"
El's face lit up so bright once she heard this message, she strained her eyes even more at the door in which mike would walk through.
My eyes searched over the crowd of people flowing from the door until they met with a tall teenager, with black curls, was this mike? surely not I mean he's wearing a colourful hat, sunglasses, a Hawaiian shirt in a sickening orange colour with dark green shorts.

"Mike!" El called with a wave.

Oh, it was mike.

The boy dozily gazed around the room before his eyes met with El, a huge grin appearing on his face. They both ran up to eachother before going in for a kiss, my stomach churned at the sight and it felt as if my heart was crumbling. With a saddened expression I turned to will, he looked the exact same, was he going through the same pain as me?
How would I know?! Oh yeah, I have telepathy, hold on.
Using my powers, I searched through his mind, and I was right, he was feeling the same emotions as me.
But with.. mike?! Huh? Mike seems a total douche!
With the new information I quickly leave his thoughts not wanting to invade anymore of his privacy. In the time I've done that, the others have already greeted mike, including an awkward half-hug shared between mike and Will.
Mike now turned to look at me.
"Who's this?" He asked El.
"Oh!" She exclaimed "This is y/n, remember, my friend?"
"Oh yeah!" He smiled before holding out his hand for me to shake. Not wanting to make a bad impression, I politely shook his hand, but when our hands met he hissed in pain a little and stumbled back.
"Geez your hands are hot!" He said.
Oh shoot.
"Oh I'm sorry that.. err- happens a lot" I tried shrugging it off and surprisingly it worked.
"Also," he continued "your nose is bleeding"
"What?" I held my hand to my nose and felt a liquid streaming from it "oh yeah, um.."
I began to clear it away whilst mike gave me a funny look.
Detecting the awkwardness El spoke up, "Let's get going, shall we?"
"Yeah" mike replied and so hand in hand, the couple walked through the airport.
——————
"I have our whole day planned" rambled El to mike, I decided to block out their conversation as I walked in pace with Will, besides him.
"It sucks, am I right?" I spoke up.
"Huh?" He asked, confused.
"3rd wheeling" I told him.
"Oh yeah, right, it does" he said back.
"I know how you feel, I feel the same way, trust me" I reassured him, but he chose not to answer, he just crushed the painting he held.
But he suddenly perked up at el saying she was meeting her 'friends' at rink o mania.
"Friends, what friends?" He asked.
"Y'know, Stacy and Angela" she told him whilst hitting his chest with the flowers lightly.
"Angela?" Will repeated.
El ignored him and turned to mike yet again, "you'll meet them, I promise. Just not today, I want today to be about me and you."
Ow, those words stung, me and you.
Mike placed a gentle kiss on El's forehead before climbing into the surfer boy pizza van.

It was an awkward ride to the rink, I sat closest to the left window, squished up beside El. She sat next to Mike and they occasionally chatted whilst Will sat furthest to the right squashed between the window and mike.
—————
With a loud whirring noise, the van came to a halt outside the colourful building. The door opened and I came tumbling out, glad for that nightmare to be over. Will closed the door behind us all once we were all out, I followed after mike and El whilst Will stayed behind a little to talk to Jonathan.