chapter 28

-y/n's pov-

the room had been silent for too long, el had stopped shaking but thank god she was still breathing. I clutched her hand in mine so tightly I'm surprised it didn't wake her up.

"come on.." I sobbed to her unconscious body, "please.. come on, you can do it.. I know you're in there.. please wake up.." I begged and pleaded at her but nothing was working, "wake up eleven.."

•••

her finger began to twitch in my hand, I looked down and her smallest finger was curling around and softly rubbing the back of my hand.

"eleven?" I called out to her.

her eyes began to slowly flutter open and almost immediately after, she shot up and started to cough up loads of water that she accidentally swallowed when she was in the freezer.

"oh my god eleven!" I exclaimed as I pulled her into a warm hug, "I thought I was gonna loose you.." I cried into her already damp shoulder.

"I'd never leave you." she mumbled through my own shoulder which she rested her head on.

my lips tugged at a smile as I pulled away to examine her for injuries.

"are you okay?" I asked whilst my eyes quickly scanned her for anything that was causing her harm.

"y/n, I'm fine, I promise," she told me with a loving smile.

"good, good.." I noticed how her body was shivering, "you're cold."

"a little.." she shrugged.

"hold on.." I quickly grabbed a large towel from the hanger in the kitchen and rubbed it between my palms.

"here" I handed her the towel which she wrapped around herself.

she melted into the warmth of the towel as she tugged it around herself even tighter. I sat beside her on the bench whilst the others packed up their things so we could leave and get to hawkins.

"so.. what happened in there?.." I asked.

el sighed a long sigh, "he got her.. he got max.. but- but you helped me save her.. I heard you.."

I gave her a soft smile as she continued, "I don't know if max is okay, her heart.. it stopped beating," she sniffed so I wrapped an arm around her and pulled her closer to my side, "but I made it beat again, I saved her.. I think."

"at least vecna is gone.." I spoke, "for now anyways"

"yeah.. for now." mumbled el whilst resting her head upon my shoulder.

—————

once everyone was back in the van, the engine turned on and off we went speeding down the roads into the dark night sky.

will and mike were sound asleep, using eachother's shoulders as pillows in the back with me and el, argyle and a dozing-off jonathan were in the front.

"and look!" I whisper-shouted from besides El whilst pointing out of the window to the sky, "there's pisces and perceus!"

el's face lit up when she saw the dazzling stars in the sky, her face was already bright due to the moon beaming down onto her as if she was the only thing that mattered, which was of course was not true but to me it was. I pulled my eyes away from the stars to absorb her looks and how the moon created a different perspective of her. I felt the familiar heat travel up my neck to my cheeks, turning them a reddish colour, el seemed to notice me staring and my blush.

"you're blushing!" she quietly chuckled.

"pfft!" I whispered, "I'm totally not!" her noticing only increased the redness of my cheeks.

el was now blushing too due to me blushing and my terrible lying skills.

"oh, I forgot to tell you something earlier.." she trailed off, my eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"I love you too."

suddenly, she leant forward and our lips crashed together and it felt as if someone had just got a lighter and totally melted my entire heart out. the kiss was only short but it was still beautiful and I adored every millisecond of it. we then went in for another kiss, this one being more longer. her hands went straight up to my hair where they tangled in the roots, whereas my own hands massaged her waist. our lips moved in sync and both of our eyes remained closed until we heard jonathan's voice from the front.

"stop sloppy-sloppying girls! you'll wake the boys!" he playfully scolded.

me and el broke away and burst out into a fit of quiet giggles.

el then repositioned herself so she was in a more comfortable position for sleeping, her legs were stretched out on the air-mattress whilst her back rested against the metal frame of the van. she patted her legs gesturing that she wanted me to cuddle her, I think?

I slowly crawled over and clambered onto her legs, she then wrapped two arms around me and hugged me tightly like a teddy bear. my back was resting on her front as I was
little-spoon to her big-spoon. shortly after we both peacefully fell asleep.