chapter 13

-y/n's pov-
after an awkward two minutes of complete silence except from the loud chirping of crickets outside, I spoke up once I had finished my risotto.
"um, ms byers, is it okay if I go check on el?" I asked politely.
"oh yes, of course sweetheart," joyce replied "she might be in a bit of a mood though"
"thanks joyce" I smiled and left the table but before I began my hike up the stairs I thanked the bold man for his food.

I waited outside El's door before gently knocking.
"come in" she quietly said.
slowly, I opened the door for it to reveal el on the other side, sat on her bed with a box of tissues.
my heart broke for what would be the fifth time today at the sight, I quietly shut the door behind me.
"oh el" I cooed before taking a seat next to her, "you alright?"
"y-yeah I'm.. fine" she sniffled.
"don't worry about mike, he just played a real jerk move" I assured her.
she sobbed a little at the sound of his name.
"what's wrong?" I asked, genuinely curious.
she took a deep breath in before speaking, "after you went into the bathroom at the rink- we- we had an argument about what just happened and he found out that I lied to him which made him really mad but when I tried to apologise- he said.." more tears streamed down her cheeks, "he said we were over."
"I'm so so sorry El" I softly said to her, she sniffed before answering weakly, "it's okay."
I suddenly felt guilt flood all through me.
"but it's not okay, you had that argument because of me, you broke up because of me.." tears now started welling in my eyes as I talked, "it's all my fault."
"no, no, no y/n it's not your fault, it's mine. I shouldn't have lied to mike." she sighed, "but then he admitted something, he said that ever since I moved, the love just died."
I took her hand in mine comfortingly but she began to giggle.
"what's so funny?" I asked her, confused.
"your hands!" she laughed, "they're hot!"
"oh!" I exclaimed, "s-sorry, stupid emotions playing up." I began pulling my hand away but before I could, El grabbed it and she spoke strongly,
"no, I like it."
A huge grin appeared on my face, a more shy one appearing on El's along with a pink blush starting to spread on her cheeks, like a virus, my cheeks started to burn a reddish colour too.
but then with a bang the door burst open,
"y/n? my mum just called at your house and no one answered so-" will said but then stopped after realising he had ended a sweet, touching moment, "she said- err- that you can stay round ours because nobody's at your house and she doesn't want you to be home alone. also, sorry if I ruined anything!"
he then left the room with a giddy smile and a smug look on his face, me and el broke out into a fit of giggles.
"you okay now?" I asked her, one last time.
"yeah," she nodded with a smile "thanks"

-time skip-

me and el were now watching the stars from her window as they glistened and shone in all their glory. I wore a pair of el's old pyjamas that she had kindly lent me.
"I wonder how far away those stars really are." I said, breaking the comfortable silence.
"I bet dustin would know!" el chuckled.
"your friends from hawkins seem really cool," I smiled.
"yeah," she smiled back, "they are. I really miss them, especially max. she's from california, y'know?"
"she is?" I asked.
"mhm!" she answered, "you and her would probably make great friends! but I can also see you and robin being close too"
"robin?" I repeated, fond of the name, "what's she like?"
"oh! she's super cool! she used to work at scoops ahoy and she figured out the russian code so she's really clever! I thought her and steve would start dating but she doesn't seem interested, she says that they're relationship is 'platonic' but I'm not too sure what that means" el babbled.
"well it basically just means that they get along in a friend way, not a romantic way." I told her.
"oh okay!" she beamed, "are we platonic?"
"oh.. um, I'm not too sure" I smiled awkwardly.
"okay!" she exclaimed before letting out a long yawn.
"you tired?" I pondered to which she nodded, "cmon then"
following in her footsteps, I walked the short distance to her double bed where we each shared a half.
"goodnight el" I said whilst switching off the lamp that sat on the bedside table.
"night n/n" she replied from beside me.
wait. did el just come up with a nickname for me?? oh my god, she did aswell!!
I smiled to myself before getting comfortable under the covers as I slowly drift off to sleep.