chapter 15

-y/n's pov-
the light snores of el were the only thing to be heard in the back of the van. she was peacefully rested upon my side with her head on my shoulder. my own arm wrapped around her as I clutched her closely to me.
suddenly, the van came to a quick stop causing el to whimper silently as she was still unconscious in her sleep. 
the clacking sound of high heels rang through my ears as a woman approached the van.
"you transporting a jane hopper and a y/n miller?" she inquired the driver.
"yeah, what is this?" the cop asked.
"I'll take them off your hands." the woman said whilst showing off her police ID. el's head shot up from my shoulder and she gazed through the cracks to see who caused the van to stop.
she turned to me with wide eyes, "when the doors open, run."
I nodded in response and prepared myself to sprint as fast and as far as I possibly could, with el by my side doing the exact same thing.
the rattling of keys was heard from the other side of the door but just as they began to slowly open, me and el pushed through causing the cop to tumble over backwards.
"QUICK" I shouted, taking el's hand in mine as I started to run, but I felt a familiar chill run through my spine. I yelled out in pain as I fell to the floor still shaking from the shock.

I had been tasered.

"YOU BASTARDS" I cursed whilst wobbling up to regain my stand but two men grabbed me by my arms.
I froze when I saw a middle aged man with grey hair exit one of the three black cars.
"Hey kiddo" the man spoke, looking in the direction of el who was also being held by guards.

-time skip-

el and I were sat besides eachother in a diner which was lit up with bright neon lights. we glared at the man who sat before us, I had learnt that his name was dr. owens.
"Sorry about all the theatrics" he apologised to us both, "I- I didn't mean to scare you. But you got yourselves into quite the little predicament, didn't you?.. you know, I relocated you and those byers to Lenora because I thought, you know 'safe town, dull, far from Hawkins. Nothing could happen here' and that was until you met the infamous '012' here and had that little roller rink accident."
"Ready to order some food?" The waitress queried as she walked over to stand above our table.
"I think so, yeah. I'll just uh- some more coffee and I'll have um.. how about the club special" owens replied before turning to us, "whatever you want guys, it's all on me."
"Waffles please" said El.
"y/f/f?" I asked and the waitress smiled and nodded before jotting it down.
"Thanks" I smiled weakly.
"Great choice" owens said sounding chuffed.
"Are we in trouble?" El asked suddenly sounding serious.
"For the roller rink thing? No, no, no.
We'll make that go away easy." He reassured her.
"That's not why you're here?" She wondered.
"To be honest with you kids, I wish it was. But last night, I saw something. Something I've been dreading for a some time, I don't know how to say this other than just to say it but,
Hawkins is in danger." Owens spoke with a stern tone, "eleven, you have fought this evil before and you have won. but this evil is like a virus, each time it returns it comes back stronger, smarter, deadlier.
A war is coming to hawkins.
But they alone can't win this war, not without you. I know it's not fair to ask more of you but I wouldn't be here if I didn't think this was the only way. If I didn't think you were the only one who might have a shot to hit this thing so hard it can't get back up."
"I don't have my powers" El argued, whilst she leaned in closer, resting her arms on the table.
"What if I told you there was a way...
a way to bring them back?" Owens said which perked up El's interest significantly, "I feared this moment would come so I've been preparing, developing the means to restore your abilities. A program that has the potential to not just bring them back but bring them back stronger than before but there are others who don't believe in you, who think you are the cause. I believe they're wrong. I believe you are the cure. That's why, if we're really gonna do this, I'm gonna ask that you leave with me now. the both of you."
I furrowed my eyebrows, he wanted me to be involved?
"They're not the only ones in danger," he continued, "it's life as we know it.
This is why I'm here because I believe you guys are our best hope. Our only hope."
"What if I'm not good?" El asked, "what if I'm the monster?"
"I don't know you that well kiddo but I'm betting the fate of the planet that you're one of the good ones" he told her, "but I know you've spent to much of your life being told what to do by people like me, I know that. So you say the word and I will take you right back home or come with me now. Find out for yourself."
El turned to me and asked, "do you want to go?"
I sheepishly looked down at my hands, "yeah.. only if you want to though.."
El faced owens again and nodded, showing that we were going with him.
"But what about my y/f/f?" I wined whilst getting up from the booth, owens just shook his head typically and el chuckled quietly.