chapter 22

-y/n's pov-
I lingered around in the control room where brenner and owens stood, lost in thought.
"so you're showing her the.. massacre?" I asked, breaking the bearable silence.
"yes, it's what will help her the most in the shortest amount of time." brenner replied.
"right, okayyy" I said, dragging the 'y', "I'm gonna go see my dad, alright?"

brenner didn't even respond he just gave me a funny look, confused about my sudden change in attitude.

I trailed down the eery steps, my fingertips brushing against the painted handle.
I lazily dawdled down the halls until I was met with the same batch of scientists, who were busily working away.
"dad?" I spoke whilst tapping a scientist's shoulder.
"oh hey sweetheart," the man looked up and his stressed face turned into a bright smile, "how are you?"
"I'm good," I answered, "how bout you? you seem stressed out."
"oh- um, I'm fine hunny, don't worry about me." he chuckled nervously.
"dad! come onn!" I whined whilst resting my elbows on the table, "you can tell me"
he let out a long sigh before speaking back, "look, the thing is there isn't all that much time till some real bad stuff happens in hawkins and brenner has ordered us scientists to come up with some back up plan, that's all." he babbled.
"oh come on! that's real harsh! how on earth does he expect you to come up with some other plan?! that's ridiculous!" I complained aloud.
"I know, I know but I'm gonna try my best, don't you worry" he gave me a reassuring wink before returning to his work.
boredness now taken complete ahold of me, I slowly wondered around the base, the sound of scuffing trainers following me around wherever I went.

soon enough, I had made up my mind to return back to the control booth.

"bored, huh?" questioned owens.
I nodded meekly.
"there's some old toys from the lab-" owens didn't even manage to finish his sentence before he was met with an unimpressed glare.
"oh I see, you're too old for old for toys, huh?" owens teased playfully.
"I'm not your stupid dog." I snapped.
owens shook his head typically and chuckled, "there's some old movie tapes in the back."

huh. was not expecting that.

I practically sprinted over to the back of the room and my eyes gazed over the choices of movies.
'the creature from the black lagoon', 'the blob', 'dracula' and '20000 leagues under the sea' were all neatly sat in a row.

my expectations had been risen too high, it was just a bunch of old 50s movies that weren't even scary or that good to be honest.

my heart longed for a movie like halloween or nightmare on elm street but nope.

my hopes got lower and lower until I found another video tape, hidden away behind the old 50s movies.

I pulled it out before blowing off all the dust it had collected.

'karate kid'

yes!! finally a decent movie!

I wasted no time with inserting it into it's player and I sat back as the screen flickered on.

as the movie rolled out I couldn't help but feel guilty at the fact I was sat here all relaxed watching karate kid whilst el was floating around in some water tank watching her traumatic past which was full of blood and deceased children.