The first day

Open on a dark backstage. Luz activates a light glyph and holds it between her and Eda.

Luz: I-I'm not ready for this Eda. Maybe we should go back.

Eda: Nah, kid, you got this. Just do what we practiced!

Luz: But what if... What if I mess something up? Or what if I do something wrong? *Gasps* What if I die?

Eda: Hey. Calm down, calm down. I had to do the same thing when I was a witchling. It's like a rite of passage. Granted, I was a little more skilled.

Luz: Eda!

Eda: Right, right. Sorry, sorry. Now, get pumped.

Luz: Pumped!

Eda: Get ready.

Luz: *Pulls hood up* Ready!

Eda: Now, go! *Shoves her*

Cut to the stage, a spotlight aimed at the closed curtains and a banner reading "Hexside School: Entrance Exams." The curtains open. Luz jumps on stage in a dark cloak.

Luz: *Movie trailer narrator voice* From the humblest of beginnings, a hero will rise. *Normal voice* I have traveled from another realm and trained with a powerful witch to master dark and forbidden magic. I am... *Takes cloak off with a twirl* Luz Noceda!

Reveal the audience, which is empty except for Principal Bump sitting in the front row with a clipboard with AJ a few seats away from him waving two small purple flags with Luz's name written in white in the air.

AJ: Whoo! Go Luz! *Whistles her on*

Principal Bump clears his throat, making AJ quiet down. AJ waves to her and Luz waves back, chuckeling nervously.

Luz: *Tosses confetti out of a fanny pack* Confetti!

AJ: *Jazz hands and whispers to himself* Dazzle.

Principal Bump: Right. The human that wants to be a witch. Against my better judgement, I've allowed you to take this exam into Hexside. But can you even do magic with all your... human parts?

Luz: I sure can. *Zips open fanny pack* It's said that humans can't do magic, *Pulls out papers and shows them to both sides of the auditorium* but I discovered a lost technique that changes everything.

Principal Bump: Hmm?

Eda gives two thumbs-up from backstage and AJ gives her an encouraging smile and nod. Luz activates the light glyph and lets the ball rise. She moves the ice glyph under the light and activates it. Luz beams and does jazz hands.

Principal Bump: Spells cast with paper? I've never heard of such a thing. *To himself* But is it enough to pass the exam?

Luz: Uhh...

Eda: Improvise.

Luz: Um, I can do other things, what about... this? *Stands, flips eyelids inside out* Bleep, bloop, bleep!

Principal Bump is not impressed. AJ chuckles a little.

Luz: Ow, ow! Eyelash! Eyelash!