𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐥𝐬 𝐟𝐚𝐥𝐥

A/N: Content warning: Aegon and his Lana Del Ray phase. 

× 

'What have you done?' Aelina hissed, rushing forward, hands instantly clutching Aegon by collar so tight, pulling him closer.

Somewhere behind Helaena let out another heartbreaking sob, quieter than last time. Her breath slowed down and as Aegon predicted, she seemed to fall asleep with Dreamfyre curling her rider protectively, wings serving as a blanket.

'You should be more concrete in your accusations,' he answered, calmly.

Aegon looked even more tired and haggard than Aelina remembered him to be. Even festive clothes of the king - dark green threaded with black, gold shimmering in the dark - couldn't hide his terrible, deadly exhaustion, mixed with unknown emotion, something Aelina hadn't seen on his face before.

She was envious.

She envied whoever or whatever put Aegon in this state; she envied, because it should be her - she should be the one to ruin him, to destroy his entire being, to make him an empty shell of the person. To make him nothing. Aegon was her canvas, no one else's.

'Twins. Where are they?!'

'Jaehaerys and Jaehaeyra?' Aegon hummed, a less enthusiastic she had ever seen him.

'Oh, so you do remember their names,' Aelina snarled, showing him back, satisfaction filling her heart as he winced when his head hit the brick wall.

'Depends on how many drinks I had... Oh, they are in the tower, of course,' his eyes darted to sleeping Helaena. 'She insisted that it was the right place. To hide them from an upcoming attack, you know?'

Aelina paled.

Whatever Helaena saw - she couldn't grasp it fully. And so she made a mistake. She drew them closer to the fire, the fire that should've burned not them but a completely another person.

'Insane cunt,' Aegon laughed, but even these words were lacking the usual resentment he held towards Helaena.

Aelina's fingers trembled.

'We need to...' She shook her head, releasing Aegon, not willing to sacrifice more minutes on talking with him,

She should go and find a way to call for Daemon, even if it seemed impossible, even if–

Aegon caught her, cold hand locking around her wrist.

'There is no way to stop it. Helaena already pushed them in death's paws, didn't she?'

'And you let her do it!' her voice cracked, the understatement of the entire situation dawning on her.

Even if she leaves, there is no actual way to stop it. Every prophecy their sister announced always happened to them, despite their attempts to do otherwise. It was no exception.

'I figured it out, when she said in which tower she wishes to hide them,' Aegon agreed unwillingly. 'When she chose the one where I was hiding for the last few days, it simply clicked.'

"It simply clicked."

It confounded her how quietly and apathetic he spoke. There was no malice and hatred that was in his voice weeks ago, and if not for the phantom pain that itched her throat, Aelina would never believe that it was him, who tried to kill her.

'Are you insane?!' She broke out from his grip, hitting him across the face. 'You don't care about them as much as about your kids?! Gods, fine! But they are your heirs! Your, your legacy! Consider it, at least!'