𝐞𝐱𝐭𝐫𝐚. 𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫'𝐬 𝐞𝐧𝐯𝐲

A/N: Alicent POV, takes place starting from 110 AC and far. Bonus - analysis of Alicent in the end.

×

In the third month of the Queen's pregnancy with twins, Maester had no doubts that they were waiting for two healthy boys. It made Alicent sigh silently, caressing swollen belly - it was much bigger than she ever had - and think about namings more carefully.

Choosing names became a real trouble.

From the first seconds, knowing that she was pregnant, Alicent already knew that her next kid will be named Aemond. An elegant, beautiful name that rolled on the tip of tongue nicely. Aemond Targaryen sounded like true power.

So, when she found out about the second kid, she felt startled. And for the strangest reasons, Alicent felt at loss. Nothing seemed fitting enough for the second boy, and Viserys - as usual - wasn't a great help.

"We can name him Daemon," he said, absolutely serious, facing Alicent and Otto both, at the same time. "Aemond and Daemon. Names for twins and a beautiful gesture of respect to my brother."

Her father let out such a long sigh that Alicent feared that he was about to have a stroke from this suggestion.

"Husband, let's not."

Alicent would rather die than name her kid after Daemon Targaryen! It was even worse than naming him Aegon the Third, like her father suggested!

And so, they kept the second child unnamed through the whole pregnancy.

On the hottest day of summer, when the waters broke, Alicent finally understood why choosing a name for her second boy was such a challenge. Perhaps, as a mother she simply sensed that it was a girl all along.

"Your Grace, it's a girl!" One of her maidens announced, holding a little baby in her arms, while others were already helping Alicent with a second kid.

Alicent groaned, hands clutching sheets tighter, eyes watery, but her face softened immediately as she heard this news.

A girl!

"O-oh!" Her face quickly distorted with fear, when she realised that the only whaling sound in the room was coming from her, and not a child. "Why is she not crying?! Is she..."

"No, no, your Grace, look! She is fine!" Alicent was quickly comforted by the look of the little girl, breathing and resting.

Alicent was stunned.

Both of her previous children, Aegon and Helaena were whipping so loudly after she gave them birth that she couldn't assume that things could be different.

"How are you going to name her, your Grace?"

Alicent clenched her jaw, little Aemond coming out with more pain and fierceness than his big brother did.

"Aelina... I'll name her Aelina."

A few hours later, Alicent couldn't answer why she decided to scream out this name. It was as if her thoughts wandered everywhere, accidentally peeking on the little conversation, stupid and long forgotten by everyone but her.

She remembered noticing once, how beautiful names of Targaryens sounded, majestic almost. And she remembered how Rhaenyra smiled at her back then, mischievously.

"Yes and no. You know, as Uncle Daemon says, you can create an absolutely accidental name, just make it up, and everyone will think that it is the name of my ancestor. Look... Hm, Aelina."

"There is no way this name doesn't exist," Alicent laughed back then, pressing a hand to her mouth, trying to muffle the sound.

And so, Aelina Targaryen was born. From the memories of the broken friendship and absolute silence.