𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐯. 𝐢 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐝𝐨 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 (𝐢 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐧 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐨 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮)

A/N: Content warning: mentions of tortures. 

×

With passing months that the war continued, days and weeks full of conquests and fights with Aegon's closest companions and allies - not with Aegon himself; after the Feast of the Death, he hid away with Sunfyre, the one that was wounded seriously, presumably waiting him to recover - Aelina had noticed that her hair rather got silver.

She did notice it when little Viserys and Aegon, her growing nephews, played with her locks, chubby fingers tugging it lightly as the one of them mumbled, words still being hard for babies:

"Silver!"

And after that Aelina, too, saw the silver.

They weren't blondish as usual, instead, they were something between grey and silver. When she pointed out this to Aemond in the early morning, while he braided her hair, he only hummed thoughtfully:

"Majestic as usual."

And nothing more.

Jacaerys, too, blinked at her confusion, saying that it looked nice on her.

And it wasn't like Aelina worried about her appearance, but the sudden change made her wonder what went wrong. Was it the consequences of the poison in her blood or was it just nerves that struck her this time? That she couldn't guess, and she obviously didn't have time to, instead being busy with fighting for their lives and Queen's reputation; her right to be the Queen, to be more precise.

'Aemond!' The air was whistling in her ears, Maevrina being fast and the weather ever unmerciful, crude rain slashing her cheeks. 'Are you ready?'

As soon as her brother eyed her, a swift nod serving as the answer, a looped grin appeared on her face.

'Maevrina, switch!'

Maevrina and Vhagar, both, accelerated quickly, and with a confused motion that seemed strange for their sizes, moved, flying crossroads, changing their places, tails crossing as swords when they let out a fire at the same time with a loud roar. Aelina heard Aemond laughing aloud - he radiated twisted happiness on the battlefield - and smiled, too.

Though, it disappeared quickly as the bunch of arrows aimed right on Maevrina.

'Maevrina, higher!'

Most of the silver-tipped arrows went past her, only brushing her scales, but Aelina hissed nevertheless. Before she striked down, someone overtook past her, well-known voice yelled:

'Vermax, Dracarys!'

Aelina tsked.

Jacaerys got surprisingly raged when it came to her or Maevrina's safety, all wishes about peace slowly dissolving, turning into something darker, more Targaryen-like. It startled her sometimes, the reminder that he was not much different from all of them.

As the last defence of the enemy was ruined, burned to the ground, all of them slowed down, starting to search for others. Malax and Caraxes were found settled down not so far behind, peacefully lying in the ashes and bones as Daemon were explaining something to Lucerys; the boy got bolder in their last battles. When Aelina got a little bit closer, she noticed the man kneeling before her uncle.

'Is something wrong?' Aemond asked, leaving Vhagar's side.

Aelina jumped from her dragon, but instead of touching down the ground, she was instantly caught in Jacaerys's arms. He swirled her in the air quickly, before putting her back on her feet, winking at her mischievously. It made her snicker softly, rushingly wiping dust and blood from his cheek.