𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐱. 𝐬𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐧 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐬

'Now, I see all of you are still suffering consequences of yesterday's feast,' uncle Daemon announced, watching the dreadful expressions of his family over the table with the most shiteating grin. 'But important talks will go nowhere until we figure everything out.'

Aelina leaned back on her chair, rather instinctively glancing at Aemond. Well, at least someone had a funny night. Not something you could notice right the way, but definitely more noticeable when you watch him more persistent.

As he caught her amused look, he rolled his eye. And immediately regretted this decision, aching head reminding him of a hangover, making Aemond silently sink in the chair.

'Indeed,' Rhaenyra smiled. For the first time in a while, the smile was wide and genuine. 'Well. First of all... Aelina?'

'M-m?'

'Regarding Maevrina... I think we both understand that it's impossible to ride her anymore.'

Aelina averted the eye contact, instead, starting to knock on the table with her fingertips.

She knew Rhaenyra was right, yet, it was a hard thing to admit. More to say, Aelina wasn't sure that she wanted to give up on Maevrina yet, despite the whole complicity.

'It is not a problem to get yourself a new dragon,' she continued comfortingly. 'You can wait for egg to hatch or you can try to tame some other dragons? What do you think?'

Aelina was a dragonrider as long as she could remember herself. She couldn't live without it - the freedom it gave her - and over the years it was almost the only thing that reminded her that no matter where she is, she is free. Aelina could never abandon it. But Maevrina...

'I don't think I need a new one.' And ignoring all surprised noises in her address, she said more firmly: 'Thank you, really, but Maevrina is the only dragon I am willing to ride.'

'If the battle...'

'There are no battles, yet,' Aelina cutted. 'And if they start again, I will think of something.'

Perhaps, it was too risky and stupid. Naive, even. But leaving Maevrina alone, especially now, seemed like an awful betrayal. And Aelina would hate herself for that.

'...Okay,' Rhaenyra agreed eventually, well-knowing that it's impossible to prove a point to Aelina when she is being so defensive. 'The next topic is...'

'I want to announce something,' Jacaerys interrupted his mother, rising from his place slowly. 'Your grace, will you allow me?'

Aelina furrowed a little bit. Hopefully, this idiot will not bring back the topic from yesterday?

'Of course... What is it, Jacaerys?'

Jacaerys fixed his collar profusely, and after a quick pause, he started to talk:

'From my very childhood, I was prepared to take the role of the King in the future, always living with the understatement that it will happen sooner or later. But... I have no wish to be the one to take the crown.'

'What–'

'Please, spare mercy, your Grace. I understand all consequences of my words and actions, and therefore, I have a compromise. The one, where I will not let you down. I could take the role of temporary ruler until boys will not grow up enough to take my place,' he quickly exclaimed, fully ignoring others' reactions. 'But as soon as my hand would not be required, I will leave the position of the King. I will stay at the King's Landings, of course. I promise to help and work here as it was always planned. You will not lose your son and the soldier. But ruling - it is not something I wish to do all my life.'