Enchanted

...

Carson kept her eyes on Greta the whole evening. She was up there, singing over Joey's guitar, fully concentrated on making her music, and Carson watched her, starstruck, her mind constantly reminiscing the moment they had shared earlier. The almost kiss. They had almost kissed. Carson was sure of it, she was sure it was about to happen when they were interrupted, and she wanted to kiss Greta, oh God, she wanted it more than anything she'd ever wanted in her life.

Twenty-four hours had passed since they'd first met at Jenny's Shack in Rawlins, and Carson didn't quite remember what she used to think about before, before Greta, 'cause now there was only her. Her copper hair, her red lips, her brown eyes, the fucking shape of her waist, and that smile... and her smell. She smelled like warm milk with honey, and recently opened flower buds. Sweet. Carson wasn't quite sure if it was the smell of her skin or her hair or even her breath... They'd been so close earlier... Carson just knew she'd be able to recognize it anywhere, that smell, even if she never got to be that close to her ever again.

Carson had a glass of red wine in her hands, sipping it every now and then, making it last as long as possible. She didn't want to get drunk again tonight, she wanted to be sober to appreciate every single moment of that night... like the moment when they left Beverly's place and Greta set a hand on Carson's lower back to guide her through the front yard, or the moment Carson had wished them good luck before Greta went onstage and she had thanked her with a soft kiss on her cheek, close to her jaw - Carson could still feel her skin tingling with the contact.

Right now, the moment was made of Greta staring at Carson while she sang all I can say is I was enchanted to meet you, and Carson blushed and felt her body warming up, and it could be due to the wine, but it was probably just Greta's eyes on her that made her feel like that.

Carson's phone rang in her pocket, it had been ringing for a little when she actually noticed it. She looked at the screen and found her father's face there, which probably meant Charlie was home before expected, and he had called her dad, and Meg now was also aware she wasn't coming home anytime soon, and she would have to deal with whatever they would throw at her.

She looked at Greta one more time, soaking up her beauty and the sound of her voice, before getting up and asking for a silent place where she could take the call. Dove pointed to the cellar at the back of the bar, and Carson thanked him with a smile.

Once she was locked inside, she answered the call. "Hey, dad".

"Hi, kid. Meg called and mentioned you were supposed to get the boys from school today and have them for the night, but you didn't. All good?", he asked.

"She forgot to mention I wrote her a message this morning telling her I wasn't home and wouldn't be able to take Ben and Tom today. But, yes, I'm all good".

She did feel all good, apparently, her father hadn't heard the news of her being out of town from Charlie, which meant Charlie was still on his work trip that should last until the next day.

"I went by the house earlier this evening, it was all dark. I didn't know you were traveling with Charlie".

"I'm not, dad. He's working, visiting some clients in neighboring towns. I'm just... out. Got some days off work".

"That's nice, kid. You're out with Eleanor?".

Eleanor was Charlie's sister and Carson had never really been close to her, they just saw each other on Thanksgiving and Christmas, and sometimes Easter celebrations. But Carson knew her father very well to know he was never going to go straight to the point and ask her where she was so she decided to just tell him and end the subject.