Chapter Six

Maddison's POV

The gym was filled with noisy sneakers moving on the freshly waxed floor. The cheer coach was here today.

Tournament season was approaching. Cheer squads from all around the world would be coming to compete here in California. The last five remaining squads would move on to the championship rounds.

Meaning, cheer practice was after school. Seeing as how you only perform once, you have to go big.

"Okay ladies and gentlemen, let's go through it one more time." Coach bridge said after blowing her whistle.

The track started to play, I had been planning this routine all month. Despite Olivia and her mouth. I watched as Eva did her backflip.

She was steady and clean with her cartwheels and rounds off. Her dance was good, I mean I taught her the dance.

Anyway, once it was time for the big surprise. I began to worry, Eva still was messy on the part and Kal was nowhere to be found all day. He was ignoring my texts too, Eva hadn't heard from him either.

I did my final steps and held my position waiting for the end of the track. The coach didn't have an expression on her face. My guts were twisting thinking of all the things she could say.

The track finally came to an end. I felt hot in the face and out of breath. I rubbed my palms on my skirt trying to catch my breath.

"I like it, Maddison, I do." she smiled. I blew out a breath.

"It would've been better if Kal wasn't off cheating on his girl." Olivia joked walking over to us.

A few of her cheap friends laughed with her. Eva rolled her eyes and sat down on the benches.

Olivia went to sit down and grab her water bottle. The coach was going through some papers on her clipboard.

"The routine might need some cleanup, but we will use it." The coach said looking up at me.

I nodded, and I checked my watch. After finishing my conversation with coach bridge. I walked over to Eva.

She was texting away on her phone. She didn't even acknowledge my existence.

"She's so annoying, she's sticking her nose in my business. She doesn't know anything about Kal." Eva said turning towards me.

"I texted his mom, she doesn't know where he is." Eva frowned and her leg began to bounce up and down.

"Olivia is bitter, she's jealous that's all," I said with a nudge.

Eva smirked a bit and chuckled at the thought. I checked my watch and remembered I needed to go home if I wanted to get ready in time.

After falling silent, I said goodbye and I went to pack up.

----

After a long walk in the rain to get home, I was exhausted.

It took an hour, and I missed the pick-up time for each bus stop. So, walking was my only option.

When I did get home, I left my soggy sneakers by the door. Henry texted me a while ago, I'd text him back later.

I got into the bathroom and stripped off the soaking clothes. I turned the faucet on and turned the temperature to hot. I lathered myself in cinnamon and vanilla body wash.

I couldn't help but feel this ache in my chest, I didn't want my first date to be with Alex, I wanted Henry...yet, he didn't feel the same about me. I knew it and it pained me.