Chapter Twenty

*Rewritten Chapter*

Maddison POV

"So, Olivia wants to throw the pre-homecoming party, you coming right?" Eva asked, Eva and I were in a weird place but we were cool. She didn't talk much anymore unless Kal was around. So it was a surprise to hear her speaking to me directly. Primarily since it was about a long tradition that started three years ago. Things change, they always do. I'm beginning to see that nowadays.

"Um, what about Kal?" I asked, closing my locker after filling my bag.

"He...he doesn't wanna go. I know we all go around this time of the year.  So, I thought of you. I guess." Eva said, with a closed-lip smile.  Her eyes darted around with nervousness. I could only assume the reasons behind it, but I didn't voice them.

"Okay. I'll go with you." I nodded happily as the bell rang. I needed to keep up with my perfect attendance in all my classes. So I left Eva alone.

Walking to class, I saw Alex. He was talking to his friends. He had on his varsity jacket, it hugged his muscles tightly. Then I also saw Henry, walking to our shared class. I greeted Alex instead.

"Hey." I tapped his shoulder, getting his attention. A generous smile was already on his face, his eyes dancing with excitement.

"Hey babe." Alex said, bending down a bit to kiss my cheek. "I'll see you guys later, gotta chat with the girlfriend." he added with a wink toward his friends.

His football friends stayed in the hall, continuing their conversation after exchanging goodbyes with Alex. There were still thirty minutes until the first period began.

"Did you want to talk?" Alex asked, stopping me. Students were already rushing to classes. My eyes widen a bit. I didn't actually wanna talk, I kinda of hoped he would just talk my ear off.

"Uh, no. I-"

"I did want to talk to you. It's important." Alex said, his face turning red. He was nervous or embarrassed, I thought to myself

"What is it?" I said, growing nervous myself.

"My parents are hosting a gala. Everyone is going, it's to raise money. Anyway, I know your Dad will be in attendance. Will you?" Alex asked, biting his bottom lip.

My face dropped, "um, I can't." I frowned slightly thinking of a lie. If my Dad had already gotten the invitation there was no doubt he would force me to join. I would cross that bridge when it was time.

"Why not? This would be an amazing time for our parents to meet each other." Alex pleaded tilting his head to the side. I could sense his determination but I just couldn't understand why. This wasn't an appropriate time to do all that.

"I just don't think that's smart, and because I'm becoming sick." I coughed and looked off to the side. There was no way, that interaction would go well. My Dad didn't like Alex and had no reason to like him. Plus he still thought I was single and focusing on my classes only.

"You were fine two minutes ago. What do you mean it's not smart?" Alex narrowed his eyes. He straightened up, towering over me slightly.

"I don't know, I haven't even told my Dad about us. I-"

"I've told my parents about us, I thought it was the right thing to do." Alex cut me off, rolling his eyes. His smile turned into a frown, ruining his face.

"Well it wasn't, why didn't you tell me?" I asked quickly.

"Our relationship isn't a secret." Alex laughed, rolling his eyes once more.