Chapter Twenty-One

Maddison's POV

I moved around, feeling the leather make my skin itch. Dad was quiet, as he usually was when we drove to the hospital unless I started a conversation. I didn't feel like talking either today, unfortunately. I should be happy, cheering, and smiling like those smile stickers you see in a gas station.

Yet I wasn't, I couldn't stop thinking about Henry and Olivia. Mainly Henry, what is he thinking? He can't just change like that. Become some party animal. Something was wrong. He just doesn't trust me enough. Maybe he was always like that, and Olivia just brings that out of him. I bit my lip, which made my stomach flip.

"We are here." Dad said, pulling me out of my thoughts. Without looking at him, I got out of the car adjusting my jean skirt after closing the door.

The closer I got to the building, her room. My throat tightened. I felt my world get pieced back together. It is such an amazing and nauseating feeling. It's like biting into a green apple. It's sour but so good and worth it.

The nurse looked up at us, she was a new one. Dark skin, was tall, and had mocha hair that reached her chest. She smiled at us once we reached the front desk. She passed over the clipboard with a purple fuzzy pen. It made my hand itch and I hadn't even touched it yet.

"I like your pen. It's nice." Dad said picking up the pen.

It's just a pen.

"Yeah, I like to use my pens. Some patients and visitors like them. I can tell it lightens their day. Especially when I know the visits aren't good ones." She said her smile now a frown.

Once Dad signed the paper, I slid the clipboard back. Who cared about a stupid pen?

"That's...uh...considerate." My Dad mumbled,

"I know, I love the color of your eyes." She laughed quietly. I looked at my Dad, seeing him with a small smile. I squinted my eyes, looking between them.

"Dad." I said, turning on my heel. I heard him follow me after he thanked the nurse. I rolled my eyes.

Anyway, Once we reached Mom's room. My eyes widened, she was walking around. Her pace was slow and careful.

"Sara, honey." I heard my Dad whisper as he pushed past me. He stopped a few inches away, gently grabbing onto her hand.

"Derek, it's fine. There's a new nurse who helps me with daily exercises. She encourages me to walk, she says that-"

"They all say that then you end up bleeding and vomiting and in pain." Dad cut her off, guiding her back to the bed. Mom groaned, removing Dad's grip.

"My baby, Maddy." Mom and I locked eyes. She smiled as she always did. I closed the door gently and walked into her arms. If I stayed in her arms long enough, I smelled the cherry perfume on her. It was her favorite scent.

God, I missed her.

"What's been going on with you? What's new?" She asked, rubbing my back.

"I'm being forced to go to a gala again." I moaned, leaning back to show her my fake frown. Mom laughed softly, using her of her hands to pinch my cheek.

"Maddison." I looked over at my Dad, his scowl evident.

"You know it's important you come to these things. What if you want to go into politics? Since business won't be your priority." My Dad said with a glare.

"It's not like I talk to anyone, I walk in those garden mazes or sit on a couch until I see a friend or cousin." I said shrugging. I backed out of her hold.