Chapter Twenty-three

Henry's POV

I held Sabrina's hand as we walked down the first aisle of the grocery store. I needed to do a few errands today. Including food shopping. I made a long list. I also needed to clean the house again. It surprises me how dirty adults are, minus Chad. Chad has a dirty personality so there's no surprise. I felt burning guilt and shame for letting Sabrina stay in that house.

All those strung-out women around Sabrina had me knotted up inside.

"I want popsicles." Sabrina pulled my hand, pointing at the coolers filled with different flavors and shapes of the ice goods.

"You can only get one box."  I said sternly as I pulled open the door. I grabbed star-shaped
and heart-shaped popsicles. I placed them in the cart. I knew it wouldn't hurt to get two boxes plus I knew Sabrina loved them.

"Can I have one?" I felt Sabrina tug on my hand.

"I have to pay for them first." I mumbled, pulling out my paper list. I needed to get things that were actually on the list. I heard Sabrina whine, quickly I turned and picked up her tiny body. I placed her in the shopping cart.

"You can sit up here until I'm finished, yeah?" I asked lowly as a few people began to walk down the frozen aisle. Sabrina nodded happily as she began kicking her legs back and forth.

I began to push the cart, I grabbed a few more frozen foods before moving on to the next aisle. I looked around, trying to find pancake mix. Since Derek was paying me, I was able to buy all the name-brand stuff. It was a nice feeling to buy so much without having to necessarily budget.

"Now isn't this a fun little surprise?" I looked up and saw Alex. He wore a sly smirk, he crossed his arms over his chest.

"Alex." I said looking back at the different pancake mixes. I heard footsteps come closer and I immediately inhaled. I stood up and looked off to the side.

"You know, I heard you've been tutoring Maddison." He said simply.

"It's not a secret. Everyone needs a little extra help with something." I explained looking at Alex with narrowed eyes.

"Hm, are you saying Maddy is dumb?" He asked with a slight frown. I rolled my eyes before responding.

"No, why don't you talk to Maddison yourself." I said before turning on my heel. I didn't even pay attention to what box I grabbed. Just threw it in the cart. Before I could move the shopping cart, I saw Alex grab onto it.

"This is just proving how much of a nerd you are. Offering students tutoring sessions, you must have no friends to do that." Alex laughed out loud.

"Well, I'm sorry no one has ever tried to tutor a dumb jock." I said simply before, roughly pulling the shopping cart. I heard Alex hiss in pain, that's what he gets. Sabrina giggled at the sudden jerk. I instantly pulled her out, setting her on the floor.

"Are you okay? You didn't get hurt?" I asked rapidly, I lifted her shirt. I would have to check her every hour to make sure I didn't leave a mark. Sabrina shook her head, holding her arms up.

"I'll see you at school Henry, don't you worry about it." Alex laughed, I could hear him walk away. I licked my lips, picking up Sabrina. I ignored the way my heart began to beat against my chest. I wasn't afraid of anyone, I knew how to defend myself.

———

I placed the last bag down on the counter. Sabrina grabbed her tablet and ran off somewhere. I would have to unpack the groceries by myself. I didn't mind, Sabrina was too young to be helping me.