Chapter Eight

Hey guys! Here's the new update I hope there isn't any errors. Hope y'all enjoy, it's does get a lil sad and depressive on some parts I feel so heads up. Enjoy!!!

Henry's POV

It was  Monday afternoon. I had thought about his offer all day. I had seen Madison a few times today. I wanted to tell her about it but it required revealing my personal life to her. I didn't want to discuss that. So, I decided against it.

I wasn't mad at Maddison anymore. My job was working fine. I was supporting Sabrina and me, and I was fine financially. So, I spent my afternoon with Phoebe.

Phoebe wanted to watch old Disney films. I didn't mind, I could bring Sabrina with me. Phoebe nudged me showing me her phone. It was a picture of a tall boy in a cheer varsity jacket.

"Who's that?" I asked

"My crush." she pulled her phone back smiling.

"He's cute right?" she asked raising her eyebrows.

I laughed and nodded, he was nice-looking.

"There's this problem, this girl won't leave him alone." She said rolling her eyes.

I never took Phoebe for the dating type or the jealous type. So, it was surprising to see her want this dude.

I decided to pack my things and call it a day. I needed to get home. I had enough money to spare, I decided to buy dinner. I said bye to Phoebe and grabbed Sabrina's hand.

"What are you craving?" I asked Sabrina while getting her in my car.

She had asked for tacos and lima beans. I had to laugh, an interesting combination.

After stopping by the store and picking up the ingredients for tonight, we were home. I let Sabrina out before getting the bags. Mom wasn't home, dinner would be nice for her. So, I spent an hour making dinner and switching between keeping Sabrina entertained.

I sat on the couch waiting for my mom, maybe we could all eat together. Unfortunately, those dreams were crushed when I heard the door open. It was my mom, she was tripping over her own feet.

Chad was not far behind, black worn-out suitcases in hand. I was confused and I needed answers.

"What's he doing here?" I asked

"I sold some old jewelry, I did other things but that doesn't matter. I'll repay you for the money I used." She slurred falling on the mattress.

I couldn't believe the words coming out of her mouth.

"You used my money in the box?" I laughed trying to hide the burn in my eyes.

I went to my room, I had changed the spots. Yet, here I was looking at my red box empty. Year's worth of money gone, down the drain. I was overwhelmed, and I let my guard down.

I was getting paid 8.15 an hour, I couldn't make that money back before graduation. I just couldn't.

So, I found myself making a decision that could ruin me in the end.

**********

-2 Days Later-

I skipped school and took a few shifts. I knew leaving Sabrina home was a bad idea. I just needed to fix what mom broke.

"The garden tool sets are on aisle 6," I said pointing towards the back of the store.

Chad and mom were home more often. I couldn't argue right now about morals and being a family again. I believed she could be worked on. So, I was gonna get her to go to rehabilitation.

I didn't want to give up on her, and I knew what had to be done.

I was working the register when I saw him again. Derek Carter, the man that could help me get my mother into rehab.

"However you got my number I'm impressed." he started, motioning for me to step to the side.

"Uh thanks," I said avoiding contact with him.

His number was on his Facebook page, which I found through Maddison's. I'm not proud of that moment so it'll be my little secret.

"I wanted to know if the offer was still available. I know I missed Monday." I said hoping that God was working with me instead of against me.

"Of course, I like you, son. I feel your influence will do wonders for my child." He complimented.

I felt a weird ache in my chest, I backed up. I nodded thanking him.

"Thank you. Wednesday afternoon after work, I'll be over." I said I'd plan a schedule later once I'm home.

He nodded, and eventually after our little conversation he left. I felt good, I mean I had to put my plans on hold. I was doing it for good reason, she still had time to be a perfect mother to Sabrina.

I loved my mom and I truly believed she loved me.

-4 Hours later-

I sat in my car, outside of my house. I tried to make sense of the mess in front of me. My mother was losing herself, I lost everything I had in a day. I deserved a moment of peace for a second.

Sometimes I wonder what life would've been if my dad was here. The father that loved my mom and sister. Fishing trips, game nights, and vacations. I didn't want to worry so much.

I also needed to make sure Sabrina was safe and sound with someone I felt I could trust. Maybe I was doing something even stupider. Yet, I didn't have nausea and gut-twisting feeling to stop myself.

Anyway, I mustered up the courage to walk to the house. The lights were off inside, the couch was empty. I walked to my room, feeling exhausted. A lump in my throat itching to come out. I refused to cry, it wouldn't fix this.

"Henry?" Sabrina's tiny voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

I laid down beside her rubbing her hair.

"I'm here." I choked out

"Can you tell me a story?" She asked

I haven't told her a story in months. I thought she had forgotten about them. I nodded agreeing to tell her something.

"Once upon a time, there was this fairy. She would come and grant wishes for little boys and girls. So beautiful and white, you'd think it would be a fallen star." I whispered

I wasn't creative with my story, as it was just the plot from Tinkerbell but shorten. It worked cause she eventually passed out. I followed suit and tucked us in.

Tomorrow was a new and better day.

/////

THOUGHTS ON CHAPTER?

THOUGHTS ON HENRY?

- Henry's mom
- Derek Carter
- Chad

(Also, if it wasn't obvious, tutoring Maddison was the decision, it'll make sense later lol.)

Byeeeeee 🕯️💙