Chapter Twenty-Two

Maddison's POV

"A little to the left...no right." Eva yelled from the floor. She was getting the gym ready for homecoming. It was in three weeks and I was dreading it. Every single year, I run for homecoming queen. Of course, Olivia and I always manage to tie. fortunately, that won't happen this year.

That's why I'm carrying my cheer uniform in my duffel bag. I decided to quit officially, not only because the homecoming elections but because I was ready to change it up. I was ready to commit or at least try. I needed to share my attention with Alex. Make us a perfect match, not only for me but for the school. The school needed us to be a perfect couple. Perfect couple meant getting the crown to myself.

Speaking of Alex, he was also in the gym with his buddies. I walked over to them, getting Alex's attention by calling his name.

"What are you doing this weekend? I wanna make sure we match." I said, pulling out my phone. I had been looking at dresses since the beginning of the year, hell since my high school year started.

"Um, I guess going shopping with you." He laughed.

"I have a few colors in mind. Lilac, pineapple yellow. I don't know." I replied, walking over to bleachers. Alex hummed following behind me.

"I would love to plan with you but I need to practice."

I looked up at Alex, he was still holding a football. Tossing it back and forth between his hands.

"This is more important though." I said quickly. Alex froze for a second, making the ball fall to the floor.

Before Alex could respond, a taller male walked up to us.

"Alex, the group is heading field." He said, patting him on the back. Alex nodded and turned to walk.

"I'll see you later." Alex said over his shoulder.

I sighed, I nodded. I hoped his attitude would change. I checked my watch, I needed to head to class.

——

I drew random bubbles in my notebook as my history teacher talked on and on. A loud knock on the door made me jump. The teacher shushed the class before going to open the door.

"Hello, Mr. Grant."

The principal walked in, and a tall female followed behind him. A bag slung over her body, a white mini skirt showing off her legs.

"Hello everyone, this is Serenity Monet. Please make her feel welcome at West Creek. Treat her as you would yourself." Mr. Grant spoke sternly eyeing the class.

I went back to drawing my notebook, not paying attention until I heard a chair scratch against the floor. I looked up and saw her sitting at my table. She didn't say anything, just looking forward at the teacher.

I mean, she didn't have to talk to me. Yet, she sat here...at MY table.

I cleared my throat, extending my arm to tap on her side of the table. She looked back at me, smiling softly before turning forward. Yeah, she probably enjoyed history. It was just such a drag for me but  I managed to pass by with a high B.

Anyway, after an hour. Class was dismissed and I had to shove everything into my bag just to catch up with the new girl. It got a lot easier when she stopped to look at something.

"Hey, I'm the girl from history. Maddison Carter!" I said excitedly walking in front of her, holding my hand out. It was her schedule that she stopped to look at.

"Serenity." She replied shaking my hand. "Do you know where the gym is? I have that next." She added showing me her schedule.

"I can take you there." I said nodding my head. I let go of her hand. I waited until she was next to me to walk. She had dark skin and long black hair. Almost every hole in her left ear was pierced. My Dad would kill me for doing something like that. Maybe she hid it from her parents.