Chapter Nineteen

Henry's POV

The party was going amazingly, I had talked to so many people I lost count. I met accountants, financial analysts, and Mathematic educators. It felt like an opportunity to be meeting these people so soon.

"You must have some idea of how to put that brain to good use?" A man, Walter, asked holding a glass of champagne.

"From what Derek tells, you are on top of all your math classes. Your GPA. It all sounds astounding." He added, raising the liquid to his lips.

"I want to work in business, I've loved the idea of management." I answered with a nod. I didn't love much of anything nowadays. Well, I loved numbers, math, and the whole idea of mathematics. Why wouldn't I take a professional with something I enjoy? Besides, I know I would be able to provide for Sabrina without a doubt. So, I'm sticking to what I know. Something I can do easily.

"You wanna get into the business world? What college do you plan to attend?" A woman asked.

"I don't know, I haven't put applications in yet." I explained

With everything going on, I hadn't had time to sit down and think of any of this. I don't have time to go to the library, Sabrina wouldn't stay still long enough.

"Do you have a list of any you like?" The same lady asked again.

"I don't, I've been focused on- on catching up on my school work. Need to keep my grades up." I coughed.

"Well, Amanda let the man graduate first." Derek laughed, parting my back.

"Henry, you have the whole summer to decide and apply," Derek added.

I nodded, I knew I wanted to go to college but I just never had the time to think about it, plan it out.

"With a background like yours, no college would let you slip through their fingers." Amanda purred, lifting champagne as a toast.

I smiled to myself, I had never received a compliment like that.

"A university isn't only gonna look at the grades, it's the attendance, the sports, attitude." Walter cleared his throat, narrowing his eyes at me.

"My attendance is as fine as it can be. I don't do sports, I'm always on my best behavior I can guarantee you." I said with a smile. Walter didn't seem to be pleased with my presence

"It would be a waste to not join a chess club or trivia club even." Walter suggested, with a lift of the corner of his lips.

"I can assure you I don't need a club to make me stick out more." I shot back.

"Henry, why don't you take a breath of fresh air? I'm sure this is boring you by now." Derek asked placing a hand on my shoulder. I looked at the man and then back to Derek. I felt embarrassed and annoyed. I rubbed the back of my neck. I turned around going to take a walk.

Fuck you, Walter.

Luckily on the walk, I had a minute to find Sabrina. She was in a playpen with kids around her age, there were two nannies in the room. I could finally relax. Reality began to sink in, I would have to leave her. I didn't want to, what if she didn't understand why I was doing it? What if she hates me for leaving her? I'm scared to leave her, I don't even wanna think about it. However, I know if I want her to have the life she wants I have to do this. Going to college would mean better opportunities for us both. She would understand it.

I looked up, seeing a round cream couch. Maddison was sitting there by herself with a clear cup of red liquid. I hadn't seen her all night which was very surprising since she lived here. I walked up to the couch and sat down beside her.

"Hey." I said, catching her attention before she looks away. I look at her confused, usually, she was eager to talk to me. Now, I didn't exist?

"Maddison, are you okay?" I asked, frowning in confusion

"Nothing, just enjoying the piano." She mumbled leaning back on the couch.

"If something is bothering you...you can say it. I'm not the judging type." I explain slowly, this was new to me. I had never been the type to ask about feelings.

"I saw you talking to my Dad."

My eyes widen, and I sat up slightly. She had known about the check. I wasn't ready for her to know, I wasn't ready to explain anything. She didn't even deserve an explanation. We had separate lives.

"He's never introduced me to any of them. Yet, he was quick to introduce you to them." Maddison continued with a frown.

"You tutor me and that makes you inclined to meet them?" Maddison asked with a tilt of her head.

"Are you seriously mad about me meeting with your Dad's co-workers? I had no idea that was gonna happen." I pointed out.

"It doesn't matter, what makes you deserving of that?" Maddison argued

I couldn't believe her right now, making this bigger than it was. She's acting like I stole her Dad and made him my own. It was just a conversation about me, my future. How dare she twist this and make this about her?

"Maddison, it was about math. Something that would give you a headache if you tried to figure it out." I said with a laugh, it was more about my future but that wasn't her business.

"So what? You add a few numbers and know this or that. That gives you the privilege to talk to them?" She expressed, rolling her eyes.

"You weren't over there, you know nothing of the conversation. Yet, here you are getting angry with me because I was talking about myself and my future. How selfish are you to make this about yourself?" I snapped, raising my voice slightly.

I looked up, noticing a few stares from strangers

"There has to be more to it, What's wrong with you?" I asked quietly, looking at her. Her face was a mix of embarrassment, pain, and jealousy. I rolled my eyes looking away. She didn't understand, that conversation meant something to me. It felt good to be acknowledged, and understand I could get somewhere further in my life because I was smart.

"That connection...I'm not good at math. He loves business, the aspects of it all. I don't, I knew we wouldn't bond over that. So, I did the cheer, swim lessons, tennis...all of it cause I thought it would make us closer. I don't wanna do any of it." Maddison choked out, keeping her eyes low.

"Your Dad and I haven't bonded." I said. He only watched Sabrina, we had two conversations. That's not bonding.

"Why don't you tell your Dad about this?" I asked

Maddison sniffed, looking up at me.

"I'm scared he won't understand. He said that the sports would look good on my college applications. I don't wanna disappoint him. I'm doing it for him." Maddison's eyes were red, the tip of her nose too.

"You won't disappoint him. It's okay to wanna do something for yourself. You have a say in what you wanna do, you have options." I said quickly. Maddison was lucky, she could choose what she wanted to do. She didn't have to do cheer or tennis or whatever. She could choose to say no to all of it and switch to something new. I couldn't, I had to deal with the cards I have. Everything in my life was permanent, I didn't have that sort of opportunity.

"He's planned my whole life for me since I could remember, I don't wanna ruin that. He's worked so hard for me." Maddison responded sadly

"You'll regret it if you don't." I said giving her a small smile. Maddison bit her lip, before looking away. She wiped her face, sighing.

"I'm sorry for being so rude earlier. It wasn't right to snap at you. I'm sorry." Maddison looked at me again.

I nodded, I felt lighter knowing it wasn't me. It was an issue with herself. It felt weird to learn about her, see her cry. Thinking about it now, if I still had my Dad around and some other kid had managed to get closer...I would turn green myself. Unfortunately, it wasn't like that.

"...Do you wanna dance?" Maddison asked slowly, making eye contact with me.

Whatever I was thinking about Maddison Carter, it was slowly disappearing. She was emotional, kind, and sometimes selfish but she wasn't a monster cheerleader....I could get used to it, use to her.