Chapter Thirty-Two

Sorry, for my absence. I hope you guys are doing well and enjoy the chapter 💙
Henry's POV

I stared at the register in front of me. It's been a few weeks since I've worked at the hardware store. With everything going on, I forgot I had a job. I let out a sigh and turned around, I grabbed a box hidden behind the counter. If my manager, Jean never reached out, I would've been screwed out of a job. She didn't know about anything, I left certain things out. I set the box down and began to open it. All she knew, I was focusing on school. Which was a lie.

I skipped school, I skipped out on doing the project. I barely stayed home long enough, only for a shower and to eat. I couldn't face Maddison, despite the missed calls and messages from the girl. I still couldn't bring myself to say anything. Was I copping out? Probably. My education was already a failure due to insufficient funds. So, why not ruin a few other good things in my life?

Maddison wasn't necessarily a good thing...but she wasn't a bad thing either. I made up my mind that night, I didn't need her as a friend. Simple as that, we weren't meant to be friends or anything more.

"Those boxes aren't gonna move themselves." Jean said walking up to me. I blinked as I looked up to see the blue-eyed woman.

I mumbled a sorry and focused on the box, rather than my thoughts. Jean still didn't move, instead, she pinched my arm.

"Ow, what's that for?" I asked as I rubbed my arm.

"You have that kicked puppy look, you've been here since 6 this morning. Why? You know how I feel about overtime." She spoke with a grin. Jean wasn't someone I disliked, she was just like everyone else. Nosy.

"School's out for spring break, I need the extra hours." I said quickly, it wasn't necessarily a lie. Spring break did start today but school wasn't out yet. It was only twelve.

Jean stared me down for a moment. "At 2:00, I better see you gone. Child labor is not a case I want." Jean said sternly as she walked off.

So, I busied myself until 2. I did half of the boxes filled with camping supplies. Ropes, tents, lighter fuel. My arms were sore and my back was aching. I rang up a total of 30 customers. I had less than 40 minutes. I decided to wipe the counter down when I heard the door open. I looked up and squeezed the rag tightly.

Dark brown eyes met mine.

"Henry?"

Serenity walked in, her hair in a ponytail. Purple dress covering her thighs. Sleeves that left her fingertips exposed. I wanted to duck behind the counter but I was already too late.

"Hi, Serenity." I mumbled placing the rag behind the register. I wiped my hands on my jeans.

"You haven't been in school for a week. I didn't know where to look for you. Then I thought, maybe you didn't wanna be found by me." Serenity said with a soft tone as she walked closer to the counter.

Serenity and I haven't spoken since that lunch hangout and that fight between Maddison and me. I knew I hadn't been treating her the best but she was a different case. I could feel her pity like water being dumped on me. It was such a horrible feeling when you were on the receiving end.

I cleared my throat and shook my head. "It's not like that, it's just...you know, I'm not good with the friend concept." I said shrugging my shoulders.

Serenity laughed and nodded.

"I get it, not everyone is a great company." Serenity said in an agreement. "I don't know if you've gotten my texts but I wanted to properly apologize for that lunch. I shouldn't-"

I didn't want to go back to square one with all the apologies and back and forth. I did enough of that with Maddison. For the first time in a while, I wanted to put something under the bridge and move on.

"It's fine, you don't have to apologize. It's all cool." I said with a closed-lip smile. Serenity opened her mouth and then closed it, her eyes gazed into mine.

"Can I ask you something?" Serenity asked quietly.

"What?" I replied with curiosity, Serenity looked conflicted for a moment before responding.

"Why did you close yourself off? I understand not wanting pity but...I think you confuse pity with sympathy." Serenity said slowly as she played the rings on her fingers. I froze...I- I didn't deserve to be sympathized with. Enough adults did that in my childhood and look where that got me.

"Sympathy gives people the illusion that everyone is meant to be trusted just because they tell you a few soothing words. I don't confuse anything, pity in sympathy in disguise." I muttered. I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Oh...well, I haven't told anybody this. I think you should know. My Dad overdosed on fentanyl a year ago. He wasn't the greatest dad but he had his moments. So, I get it with your mother. I'm not giving you pity, I'm just letting you know...I've  been through that shit too." Serenity said softly, she quickly looked down.

I didn't know what to say, what could I say? I didn't even know anyone else in this situation,  my mother always managed to cheat death. I was always around, I called the cops or pulled her into a bathtub. I've never experienced the loss of a family member knowingly. I looked around, the hardware store was empty for the most part.

"....Thank you for sharing that with me. My- my mom..she's on heroin and coke. All of it, I assume." I mumbled. Serenity looked at me with watery eyes.

I swallowed the lump in my throat, I would not cry in this store.

"God, this is such a weird question but...I'm a hugger, can I hug you?" Serenity said with a growing smile as a tear leaked out of the corner of her eye.

Part of me wanted to reject her since I wasn't huge on physical touch unless it was for Sabrina. Yet, I think I could do it for Serenity this one time. So, I walked around the counter and nodded. I let Serenity hug me, her arms wrapped around me tightly.

I hugged her back lightly, I felt awkward doing this. I could feel lingering customers staring at us. Serenity pulled away first, wiping at her face and laughing quietly.

"I'm sorry for invading your privacy and space like this. Um, I need to buy stuff. Can I text you later?" She said hesitantly with a tilt of her head.

"Sure." I nodded slowly and watched as she walked off with one last wave. So, her father was a drug addict...it's not something you bond over. Yet, I never had someone I could talk freely with about my mom. Would I be open to doing it with Serenity? I don't know.

Phoebe was the only person who knew me in and out, minus the family's dirty secrets. I didn't have that friend that I could talk to about every single thing in my life. It was a conflicting situation that I didn't know how to handle.

Serenity was new to me, she wasn't Maddison, and she wasn't a forceful personality. I couldn't relate to anything with Maddison. Our lives weren't the same. We weren't compatible. Maybe,  dealing with Serenity could help me figure out what I wanted from Maddison.

I know this wasn't a juicy chapter, it was mostly a filler. These next few chapters will focus on the next stage of this relationship called: confusion and mixed signals and....maybe more kisses? Idkkkk

um....vote, comment your thoughts if you like! Comment your ideas and opinions if you like! Until next time 🩵🪼

BYE