Chapter Nine

⚠️Time Skip⚠️

Madison's POV

*Two Weeks Later*

It was getting colder outside, the leaves were turning green to a dim brown. I kept praying for snow. It was almost December, who wouldn't want a winter wonderland?

The last two weeks have been hectic for me. It was Wednesday afternoon and Henry was on my doorstep. I didn't know what to say at first, but I didn't end up saying anything. Henry just explained that he wanted to help me with my math, as some sort of apology.

I was just glad he was talking to me, even if it was for school reasons again.

Anyways, tournament season officially starts this week. I had already seen the list of squads coming. Eva was more excited about The Memphis and Atlanta cheer teams.

"Maddy?" I looked over at Alex, he was in his sweats and no shirt.

"Yeah?" I asked directing my attention anywhere but his chest.

He handed me a bowl of popcorn and sat down beside me. His arm wrapped around my waist. It was an action movie.

Alex and I had been getting closer. We had so much to talk about. His parents, my parents, school, and our future. I enjoyed it as it let me know him better than some jock. I think I could actually, maybe love him. I blushed just thinking about that. It was a surprising thought

Anyway, once the movie was over I told Alex I had to get home. It was almost three and I needed sleep. I had to make sure I was perfect and on my A game. I kissed Alex one more time before leaving. Eva picked me up, I informed my dad I was staying with her which was part of the truth.

I thanked her and buckled my belt. I closed my eyes and was so close to falling asleep when Eva nudged me.

"Has Kal texted you?" she asked

"No."

She blew out a breath, Kal had been ignoring Eva. I saw him around school but he never talked to me or Eva. I don't know if it was relationship issues or whatever. So, I decided it was best to stay out of it.

Once we were at her house, I got out and waited for Eva to unlock her door. Getting a better look at her, it seemed her eyes were slightly puffy. Before I could question it, she was already rushing upstairs. I just closed the door, locking it.

-The Next Day-

I waited downstairs after getting ready. I wore a long sleeve olive shirt with a white skirt. After fifteen minutes, Eva came down.

She was carrying three different bags. I laughed watching her struggle.

"Last minute gifts for the girls." Eva said placing the bags down.

"I thought it would be nice," Eva said as she grabbed her keys off the hook on the wall.

I helped with the bags and got them to the car. I didn't want to be late for class.

I looked over at Eva, her eyes weren't puffy. I'm worried about her, about Kal. I need to talk to him and figure this out. I knew Kal since diapers and he's a clingy person. So, I know it's hurting him to have to stay away from Eva.

"You and Alex seem to be getting cozy." she nudges me. "You must be serious bout him." she added

I keep my eyes on the window, seeing the passing trees. Alex was just a nice guy, he was completely something different.

"I mean, he's cool..." I trailed off playing with my fingers.

Alex and I had gone on dates and I spent the night sometimes but that was it. It was never an established relationship.

Eva laughed to herself and cut the radio on.

Once we reached the school parking lot. I thanked Eva for the ride and grabbed my bag. I got out of the car. I passed a few classmates that I waved to. I saw Kal once I reached my locker. He was talking to some girl with brown wavy hair.

It seemed heated, her hand lingering on his shoulder. Kal brushed it off turning away from her. I quickly looked away into my locker hoping he didn't see me.

I watched him walk away down the hall and I looked back at the girl. She seemed unhappy with the conversation. I grabbed my things and decided to walk to Kal's locker.

He was shoving things in his bag, almost rushing to leave.

"You've been avoiding us?" I asked sadly as I leaned on the wall. "Eva is worried." I added

Kal's brown eyes met mine and he sighed sadly.

"Uh, just some family issues." he said wiping his face and moving to leave. I quickly grabbed his jacket sleeve.

"Family issues that we haven't all experienced not once?" I asked quickly.

"This is just insanely different!" Kal yelled tugging his arm back.

My eyes widen a bit, I wasn't expecting Kal to get mad so quickly. I stepped back and looked around, people were beginning to look at us.

"I'm your best friend, you can trust me at least," I suggested quietly.

Kal rolled his eyes and closed his locker, walking in the opposite direction.

I wanted to follow after him and question him about the girl. I felt that would only make things worse at the moment. So, I decided to give him space and time deciding head to class.

Seeing Henry in the hall, lightened up my mood. He had been such a help this past week. Math still wasn't my greatest subject but his help made it easier. I just wish he wouldn't ignore me during school hours.

I figured that would also be something to fix later. Especially since I saw Henry every Saturday, Sunday, and Wednesday. There had to be something else he enjoyed besides numbers and shapes.

Anyway, once I reached my class. My eyes were glued to the clock. The more time passed the more I got excited just thinking about Colt Penn. She was the scouter coming from Gold Gate in California.

Their cheer squad was a part of the most elite university. I just needed to get in, It was my dream. So, you could only guess how important tonight was to me.

______

Bye guys, hope u enjoyed it!

Leave thoughts and comments if u have any!

Thoughts on Maddison?

Any predictions on how next chapter might go?

🩵