Chapter Thirty

Maddison POV

"I'm not a judgy person, I just think Jessica shouldn't wear orange. It's an ugly color." Eva muttered flipping through a magazine. Jessica was a girl on the cheer squad. She loved wearing orange and Eva thought it looked weird on her complexion. I laughed as I paid attention to the road. It was Friday, meaning the group project needed to get started. It was the afternoon and I spent the night at Eva's. I still thought about yesterday's events.

I knew I couldn't let myself be distracted but it was hard. Especially when I had a sneaking suspicion of Alex doing something wrong. Like the drugs. He shouldn't even be doing them but it's not like my opinion matters. Mainly because we aren't together anymore. Yet, I still thought about all the negatives of him doing them.

"If you aren't up for the project, I can just update you on it afterwards." Eva said snapping me out of my thoughts. I quickly shook my head, I needed to be apart. Firstly, because I would feel bad for not helping my group and secondly I couldn't be alone right now. I didn't trust my thoughts and I wasn't ready to go home.

"No, I'm okay. Besides, that would be weird. Right?" I asked as I made a left turn onto a different road.

"No, I could lie-"

"No lying. I'll be fine." I said quickly. Eva just hummed, it was quiet the rest of the way.

——-

"Okay, do we have everything? I thought I'd bring a notebook just to write things down." Eva asked as she grabbed her bag out the backseat. I nodded even though I didn't bring anything. I didn't think I would need to.

"Why do we need so much time to make a stupid documentary anyway?" Eva mutters shutting the car door as we walk up the driveway.

"It's our final grade, the grade that decides our future. Perfection takes time." I said with a knowing smile. Eva made a sound of annoyance. She hated worked that was time consuming. That's why whenever we did projects together, Kal and I did most of it. All of it.

"She's white people rich! How many floors do you need?" Eva asked excitedly before knocking on the door. A few seconds passed before Serenity answered the door.

"Eva and Maddison!" Serenity greeted us with an hug each. "We are gonna be in the backyard." She said guiding us through the house. The house was spacious yet filled with different pieces of art. The colors were shades of brown and grey. Odd but it worked surprisingly. She was an animal person. There was pictures hanging of two brown dogs next to a fluffy white cat. Strange to give your animals portraits.

Once we reached the backyard, I heard Eva gasp.

"You have a playground back here?" Eva asked speeding up to walk beside Serenity. It was a swing set and monkey bars. Something that you see in an elementary school.

"Yeah, my little brother loves it. All his friends enjoy it." Serenity answered with a shrug. I rolled my eyes. Anyone could buy a playground or better yet, go to the park. I looked around the yard, Serenity pointed to two couches. Henry was already here and drinking something.

"Would you guys like something to drink before we start?" Serenity asked.

"I mean, I would like Fanta if you have that." Eva said as she sat down on the couch lazily. I didn't want anything so I didn't answer. Serenity went back inside to get Eva's drink.

"You know you could've went with her." I spoke up watching Eva get comfortable. Eva laughed and shook her head.

"I'm a guest. She'll be fine." She smiled at me before looking down at her phone. I looked over at Henry who seated beside me. Quiet as a mouse. We haven't talked since Olivia's party and I didn't know what to say. I felt I should say something though.