Chapter Twenty-Four

*might be grammar mistakes but I was getting sleepy.*

Maddison's POV

I crept downstairs with a key in my hand. It was a spare key Dad had whenever he couldn't find the original. It was the afternoon and Henry wasn't home. Sabrina and Dad were out by the pool. I knew I shouldn't snoop but once I woke up again the curiosity was chewing on me

I wanted answers, maybe my Dad was his secret therapist or something. I slid the key inside the lock. The door clicked open and I quickly slipped inside. I looked around, there was a tall bookcase that led to the ceiling and was filled with books. File cabinets on the opposite side of the room. The desk was in the center with a few leather chairs in front of the desk.

I walked over to the desk. I cut on the lamp seated comfortably on the edge. I stopped before opening the Macbook. Did I really wanna do this? I couldn't wait until Henry came to me...I groaned and opened the laptop.

I put in my birthday for the password and it opened. I waited for a moment, listening for my Dad. I felt an adrenaline rush, I felt like an agent trying to solve a mystery.

"What to click on first." I mumbled while squinting my eyes at the bright screen. I decided to click on messages. It was all business plans or messages between him and me.

"Boring." I muttered clicking on gmails. I scrolled through them until I found a bank report. I clicked on it without thinking. I cursed silently, I should've paid attention in that accounting class.

I skimmed over the email and froze for a second. 1500 hundred dollars wired to...Jordan. Who is Jordan? Probably a business partner. I blew out a breath, of course, this was pointless. This wasn't a movie or some drama show. I wasn't gonna find anything.

I didn't feel like looking or snooping anymore. I shut the laptop and slipped back into the hall. I bent down on the floor and slid the key underneath the door.

"What are you doing?"

I jumped up and grabbed onto my chest.

"God, you scared me." I looked at Henry as he walked down the stairs. I didn't even hear him come home.

"I thought you were out." I said following behind him after he passed me. He ignored me as he walked to the sliding doors that led to the pool.

"I was working." Henry mumbled. I nodded even though he couldn't see me.

"Can we talk about last night?" I asked quietly.

What is there to discuss?" Henry said back turned to me.

"The fact that I overstepped. I didn't mean to treat you like that." I said walking up to him. I placed my hand on his shoulder.

"I realize that you need time to talk and I get that. I just wanna show you-"

Henry shrugged me off and turned to look at me with a fierce expression.

"You don't have to talk about it. I'll be going home tomorrow." Henry spoke calmly.

"You don't have to leave. My Dad seems to like you a lot and you need his help. Don't let my mouth ruin that." I said putting my hands up, I grabbed onto his arms gently.

"Henry, you are my tutor and friend. I use that term loosely. Anyway, I want you to listen to me for a second." I stopped for a moment, waiting for him to leave or make a quick comment that was insanely negative. Henry remained still with his head tilted to the side.

"Okay...I wasn't actually...anyway. I'm gonna share something about myself and then I want-"

"This isn't friendship camp." Henry mumbled.