Chapter 21

This is a short chapter, but I knew you were waiting to find out what happened when the guys got home. So this is just a little addition before I move the story on a bit. Enjoy :)

Chapter 21

After patching themselves up and clearing the house, Gabe and Pod headed back down to the West Country. Gabe called Abby on the way back and managed to assure her that Pod was with him without letting on what had happened. He preferred to face her in person and try to explain why they were both battered and bruised. Although that was one conversation he wished he could avoid.

Pod slept off his hangover on the way back, which left Gabe far too much time to think about the reaction they would get from the three women at his house. When they finally pulled up outside his home he turned off the engine and sat for a moment gathering his thoughts.

With a sigh of resignation, he shook Pod awake. "It's time to face the music."

Pod rubbed his face and pulled in a sharp breath as he hit his nose. "Jaysus that hurts."

"Serves you right for being a dick. Mind you I'm sure it doesn't hurt anywhere near as much as the damage Helen will do to you."

"Ah man, thanks for reminding me." Pod groaned. "Well let's get this over with."

"Not sure I'm going to fair much better." Gabe winced as he got out of his Range Rover.

Gingerly opening the front door, Gabe was surprised that the hallway was empty.

"So far so good." Pod muttered.

They walked towards the large staircase, skulking in like two teenagers trying to avoid their parents after breaking curfew.

Pod had set one foot on the bottom stair when an icy voice made him freeze.

"So you decided to grace us with your presence."

They both turned to see Mary standing with her arms crossed, glaring angrily at them.

Pod decided he needed to use all of his Irish charm if he was to survive the night. Putting on his brightest smile he walked towards her with his arms open.

"Ah Mary, it's so good to see my favourite lady."

Gabe followed behind, using Pod as a shield.

Mary slapped Pods hands away when he tried to give her a hug.

"Don't think you can weasel your way out of this my boy." She scowled at him and then turned her ire on Gabe.

"It's no use trying to hide from me, come out and face me like a man."

Gabe stepped forward, hands in his jeans pockets, shoulders hunched.

As soon as he was close enough, Mary reached out and grabbed each one by the ear.

"Ow Jaysus Mary what the feck?" Pod yelled as she pulled him closer.

Gabe groaned as his ribs complained at the sudden movement.

"Now then boys, would you care to explain why you are both battered and bruised?"

Gabe was sure he heard muffled giggling coming from down the hallway. It figured that Abby and Helen would set Mary on them.

"Give me a break Mary. I did go and get him." Gabe whined.

"Yes you did, but I'm not sure where breaking his nose came into the plan." Mary replied as she examined Pods face.

This time Gabe knew that Abby and Helen were hiding around the corner, because he heard a gasp from Helen. That's when all hell broke loose.

Abby and Helen flew round the corner and grabbed their respective partners.

"What did you do?" Abby demanded, as she grabbed Gabes arm and turned him round. He winced as his ear was tugged out of Marys grip.

Helen examined Pods nose as Mary kept a death grip on his ear.

"Not so pretty now are you?" She gave him an evil grin. "Thanks Gabe you saved me the trouble."

Gabe was about to reply when Abby punched him in his sore ribs, making him double over in pain.

"What was that for?" Gabe moaned as he clutched his side.

"I asked you to bring Pod home, not beat the shit out of him."

"He started it." Gabe retorted.

"How old are you?" Abby asked, her voice rising in disgust.

"That's exactly what I was going to ask. I thought you two had outgrown this sort of thing."

Mary agreed as she gave Pods ear a final tug before letting go.

Pod stood up straight, rubbing his sore ear, but his relief was short lived as Helen started prodding his nose.

"Ow! Ow! Ow! He shouted as he tried to step away from Helen.

"Oh you poor baby, does it hurt?" Helen purred.

"Of course it fecking hurts, it's broken." If he thought Helen was softening to his predicament he was sorely mistaken.

"Well it's going to hurt more when I fix it for you." Her voice was full of malice.

Pod stepped back, raising his hands in defence. "Er no, it's fine. You needn't trouble yourself."

Helen took a step forward. "What sort of nurse would I be if I didn't sort it out for you?"

Pod took another step back, but Helen mirrored his movement.

"Isn't there some code of practice that you have to adhere to, like do no harm or something?" He pleaded, as Helen stalked him like a cat hunting its prey.

Gabe couldn't help smirking at Pods grovelling, until Abby nudged his ribs again.

"I don't know what you're grinning at. I need to strap those ribs up."

Gabe groaned in protest, but followed Abby as she headed upstairs.

"Then you can tell me exactly what happened." She cast him a glance over her shoulder as she spoke. By the look on her face Gabe knew he was in for a severe grilling. He followed behind her, head down, feeling like a condemned man walking to the gallows.

Mary watched them walk away. When they were out of sight, she turned to make her way back to the kitchen. The extra swing in her step the only sign that she was pleased with the way her girls handled themselves. She knew her boys were in good hands.