Chapter 1

Well here it is :) I want give a BIG thank you to AshleyKatniss for creating another beautiful cover. Thanks for putting up with me Ashley xx

"Is that everything?" Helen asked as she zipped up Abby's bag.

Abby looked around the hospital room and sighed. It had taken three weeks to fully recover from the chest infection and she would be glad to finally get out of there.

"Looks like it. Now we just have to wait for the Doc to come by and we can leave." She looked over at her friend, who had nursed her through so much of her long illness.

Helen was grinning and was so full of nervous energy, Abby thought she might take off like a rocket at any moment.

"I can't believe I am going to stay with you at Gabe's house in the country. From what you have told me it sounds awesome."

Abby's face clouded for a moment, as she thought of returning to the house that held so many wonderful memories. She was still uneasy about spending time there, even if Gabe was away with the band on tour in the US. Part of her wanted to relish the fact that she would feel that little bit closer to him. The other part screamed that it was a big mistake, and she would never be able to sort out her muddled feelings towards him.

Helen stopped jiggling around as she saw the look on her friends face.

"Are you sure you're ok with this?" She asked softly.

She could see Abby fighting her emotions, as she struggled to answer her.

"I really don't know." Her voice quavered as she spoke and her eyes welled with tears. Helen walked over and wrapped her arms around her frail body.

"Let's take it one day at a time. If it's too much for you, then we can make alternative arrangements."

"Ok." Abby whispered, and held on tight for a few minutes.

A polite cough interrupted them. They reluctantly pulled away from each other and turned to greet Dr Powell.

"Sorry to barge in, but I have your discharge papers and wanted to have a word with you before you left."

"Hey Doc, you know I would never leave without saying goodbye to my favourite member of the medical profession." Abby replied with a wry smile.

"I wouldn't let you." He chuckled. "Plus, you are stealing my best nurse, so I wasn't going to miss one last chance to berate you for that."

"Hey, that wasn't my idea."

"I know, and if she can make you behave and look after yourself, it's not such a bad idea after all." He gave her a stern look.

Abby held her hands up in defence. "I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking straight at the time. I promise to take better care of myself this time. So, can I leave now?"

"Well, there is something I need to discuss with you before you go." His tone had become serious again and Abby's heart missed a beat.

"The transplant is still working isn't it? Please don't tell me the leukaemia is back. But if it was, you wouldn't let me leave. So what's wrong now?" Abby sat on the bed as she stared at the doctor, her eyes beseeching him not to give her any more bad news.

He cleared his throat before speaking. "It's not bad per se, but it's not something I'm overly happy about."

"I don't understand, what could be good and bad at the same time? Spit it out doc, it's not like you to be lost for words." She looked at Helen for help, but she just shrugged her shoulders, obviously no wiser than Abby.