4

• AMALIA •

"Are we almost there?" I ask impatiently. As much as Frankie isn't bothering me—thank God—I still don't feel comfortable sitting on someone's lap who I don't even know.

"Almost." Nathan says from the front seat.

This whole situation seems to have sobered Frankie up. He's no longer slumped. His words aren't as slurred. "Are you okay?" He asks quietly.

"Mhm." I mumble. Mia glances at me, expression full of sorrow. I send her a reassuring smile. I'm okay. She doesn't have to worry.

     Suddenly there's a bump in the road, making the car and everyone in it jolt; I feel an arm curl around my waist as my back connects with Frankie's chest.

"Jesus—" Gracie laughs as she turns to look at us. She grins at me before turning back toward the front. I furrow my eyebrows as Frankie pulls his arm away.

"Sorry," he says tiredly. "I didn't mean to do that. I just didn't want you to fall off."

I swallow. "It's okay." I say. "But that's what the seatbelt's for."

He lets out a small laugh. "Right."

     I smile when I notice that he has dimples, suddenly reminded of Aaron Warner—my favourite book character to ever exist. With his blonde hair—though Frankie's is curled—his smile and even the way he dresses, he totally could be the commander of Sector 45.

I could be Juliette—what?

     When Nathan finally pulls up in front of a house, which has music booming from it like a radio, I let out a short sigh of relief. I'm the first person out of the vehicle, and Frankie climbs out after me, closing the car door while Mia and Edie get out the other side.

     "Sorry about that," he laughs lightly, leaning on the car as he puts his hands into his pockets. "I didn't want someone Gracie's never met before picking you up, in case you didn't wanna come. She also told me there'd only be three of you.."

I smile. "It's fine."

His lips tilt up. Dimples appear again. I blush, I think.

     He pushes off the car and begins walking. I follow, and I think he's slowing his pace so I'm able to be at his side. "You ever been to a party before?"

     I shake my head, letting out a nervous breath. He smiles again. "Don't worry, my parties are the best."

     "This is yours?" I ask.

     "Gracie didn't tell you?" He questions, words slurring again. But he doesn't stumble as we advance toward the house, Mia coming up beside me.

     "No," I say, glancing back at my friend as she laughs with Nathan. Edie is texting on her phone while walking alone, a small smile on her face. I look back at Frankie. "She didn't."

     "Oh." He says. "Well, upstairs is quieter, if you wanna sit up there. Sometimes the lights can get a bit much." He laughs. "I'd know. I'll probably spend half the night up there."

"You don't like attending your own parties?" Mia asks, eyebrows raised in amusement.

     "I like them at the start. When everyone's chilled out a bit. But then it gets more hectic. I usually just wait for an appropriate time to make everyone leave, then clean up before my mum gets back from work." He tells me.

     "And what time is that usually?" I ask. I don't know how long I'm allowed to stay out—my dad will probably message me when he wants me to come back—but I don't wanna stay for that long anyway.