58

• AMALIA •

I wash my hands in my bathroom. My dad came out to us when we got back, but I rushed past him and up to my bedroom. I don't want him to see the blood on my hands.

     As I stare into my reflection, I let out a small laugh.

• ARCHER •

"Ally." I say softly.

     "What?" She replies, laying her back on my lap so she's looking up at me.

     "Has mum talked to you yet?" I ask.

     She shakes her head.

     I let out a small sigh. "Then I have to tell you something."

"What?" She repeats, bored.

"We're gonna move."

She frowns. "Where?"

     "Glasgow." I whisper. "You'll go to a new school. So will I."

"I like my school."

"I know. But maybe you'll like your new one, too."

"Is Amalia coming?" She asks.

I lean back. Shake my head. Her lips tilt further down at the corners.

"Why not?" She questions.

     "She has to stay here." I reply.

     Her eyes fill with tears, and I fight my own. I brush hair back from her face before pulling her up so she sits with her back against my chest. I kiss her cheek.

     "I wanna stay here, Archie. I can stay with Amalia!"

     "No, you can't, Ally." I respond softly.

"I don't wanna leave!" She exclaims, fighting her way out of my grip. She stands in front of me, crossing her arms against her chest. "I'm not going!"

"Alexandra—"

"I'm not going!" She screams, tears suddenly streaming down her little cheeks. "I'm not going, I'm not going, I'm not going!"

"It's for the best—"

She beats her little fists against my chest. "I'm not going! I'm staying here!"

"Ally, you can't stay here." I say, my voice shaking. I just need her to say that she understands, because then one small weight can be lifted off my chest.

     "Yes I can! I am!"

     "No, you're not." I say. "We're all going, you me and mum."

She hits my chest again. I move away from her, but she just follows and keeps hitting me, screaming incomprehensible words as she sobs.

"I'm. Not. Going!"

"Ally—"

     She keeps repeating the words over and over again, sobbing harder each time. I try to pull her back up into my arms, but she continues to swat me away.

     My mum walks in then, eyebrows furrowed. "What's going on?"

     "Archers trying to make me move! Tell him I'm staying here!"

     "Why would you tell her like this?" My mother asks, shaking her head as she lifts Ally up. My sister cries into her shoulder. "It's okay, sweetie."