69

• AMALIA •

The following day, I'm curling my freshly washed hair as music plays in the background. My makeup is done, and it looks good. I didn't want to do too much, so the only real pop of colour on my face is my lilac eyeshadow, which matches my dress.

My dad told me to be downstairs by six, and it's five to, so I stand and slip my heels on. I take a few steps across the room to practice my balance, and when I don't trip and fall over I grab my phone, putting it in the small clutch I'm bringing.

"Amalia!" I hear Mason shout from downstairs.

"Coming!" I shout.

I lean over my desk and grab my favourite perfume—the Ariana Grande Cloud one. I like the smell, but I think I keep re-buying it when it runs out purely because of the adorable packaging.

I spritz myself, then put some on my wrist before rubbing both of them together. I spray some into the air and walk into it, leaning my arm in an awkward way. I'm not sure if it healed properly after I sprained it, but that's a problem for later. Right now I just need to—

The door opens and Mason walks in. He looks annoyed, but when he sees me his face softens a little bit and he smiles. "You don't look that bad."

I scowl. "Shut up."

He laughs. "I'm joking. You look beautiful, piccolo orsacchiotto."
(T—Little teddy bear.)

He's dressed in a suit with his hair styled neatly, or rather it looks like it was. It's slightly messy now, as though he's been playing with it.

"You ready to go?" He asks me.

I don't think I'll ever be ready. But still, I nod. He reaches out and takes my hand in his, filling me with a little bit more confidence. I inhale a small breath and follow him out of my bedroom, then downstairs.

My dad is waiting when we get to the front door, which is open. From where I'm standing behind Mason on the stairs, I can see a long black car waiting outside which also has its door open. I can spot Cole sitting there on his phone, but it's dark so that's all I can make out.

"You look gorgeous, baby." My dad says. I look over at him and walk down the rest of the steps, smiling at the compliment. "Everyone's in the car."

I nod and go to walk behind Mason as he makes his way out, but my dad says my name, stopping me in my tracks.

"Are you sure you want to come? You can go back upstairs—"

"I want to come." I assure him. "And it'd be a waste of makeup if I didn't." I let out a small laugh, and he paints a tentative, unsure smile on his lips. "Seriously, dad. I want to."

He sighs and nods. "Alright, then. Let's go."

I successfully walk out and slide into the car, ending up between Xander and my dad. The former looks over at me and smiles. I smile back, hoping he can't tell that I'm really beginning to debate my dads words.

But when the car begins moving I realise that it's too late now, even if I did agree to go back to my room and act like this never happened. I lean back on the seat, setting my hands on my lap and wishing that I'd brought a jacket or something.

"Hey, maybe this'll be the perfect opportunity for me to bag a rich husband." I tell them, disrupting the comfortable silence.

At once, they all turn to look at me. My lips morph into one of those awkward smiles you give people when you don't really know what else to do.