14

• AMALIA •

Mason and his girlfriend—Jenna—pick me up from school. I smile at the latter, and she grins back. Mason turns around in his seat. "Hey, Lia. You have a good day?"

"Are you only asking that because Jenna's here and you wanna seem polite?" I ask.

He rolls his eyes. His girlfriend laughs.

"Fine. Don't tell me." He mumbles, pulling out of the car park.

"It was okay." I respond anyway. "A bit annoying, though."

"How come?" Jenna asks.

I sigh. "Nothing. It just was."

"Everything okay?" Mason asks, the concern and interest in his tone genuine this time.

"Yeah." I mumble.

"Amalia—" He starts, but I put my earphones in and turn music on.

I feel sad.

When I follow Mason into his apartment, I walk into the kitchen, pausing when I see my dad sitting on one of the stools.

I grin and run up to him. "Dad!"

He smiles and wraps his arms around me, "hi, baby." He says. "Did you miss me?"

I nod into his chest, thankful to see him. I've talked to him everyday since I've been saying at Masons, but I've still missed him more than anything.

I lean back. "Are you bringing me home?" I ask.

"Don't sound too hopeful." Mason mutters. "I'm offended."

I look up at my dad. "They made me watch a horror movie."

He sends an "are you serious?" look to my brother, who smirks. Jenna shakes her head as she grabs flavoured water from the fridge.

"So? Can I come home now?"

He frowns, and he looks like he wants to tell me something but refrains from it. "You don't wanna stay with Mason anymore?"

"I like staying with you."

He smiles. "I know, sweetheart. But.. I have a lot of work to do, so it's best if you stay here with your brother, okay?"

     I frown.

     "I promise I won't get in your way." I say quietly.

     His expression softens. "I know you won't, sweetheart. But I just want you to be taken care of properly."

     He pulls me to him again. I rest my head on his chest.

     "I only came to check up on you." He says apologetically. "Are you okay?"

     "She had an annoying day." Mason pipes in as he stuffs his face with crisp.