26

• ARCHER •

"I should probably go." I say, even though the words and the idea of leaving Amalia make me want to cry.

She looks up at me and nods after a second. She moves off of me, and the lack of her weight is like a physical pain.

I climb off the bed, sending a wary glance to her dog, who still looks like she wants to eat me, and stand. I slide my shoes back on as Amalia turns my laptop off for me and slides it into my backpack.

"Thanks." I say. She nods.

     "Do you want me to get you anything before I leave?" I ask.

     She shakes her head.

"Okay." I say. I round the bed and lean down, kissing her temple. Then she takes my face and brings it down to her lips, kissing my cheek.

When I pull back, she's smiling.

"I'll message you when I get home."

She nods.

"Bye."

     She waves. My heart softens as I wave back, leaving the room and closing the door carefully behind me.

     "Hey."

I snap my head toward Amalia's brother Mason's girlfriend: Jenna. "Hi." I say.

She nods to the door. "How's Amalia doing?"

"Good, I think." I respond quietly.

"Did she say anything to you?" She asks.

I shake my head.

She frowns but nods. "Okay." She looks up. "Do you need a ride home? Mason's going out in a minute, I'm sure he can drop you off on the way."

     "No thanks. I'm okay." I say, smiling.

     "Alright." She replies. She walks into one of the bedrooms, and I turn down the hall and make my way down the stairs.

I'm at the very last step when Amalia's father walks out of the kitchen. He glances at me and pauses.

     "Thanks for letting me come see Amalia, Mr Romano." I say.

     He nods. "Was she alright?"

     "Yeah. We just watched a movie." I say.

     "Okay." He replies. I feel like I shrink under his gaze—Amalia's father is intimidating. He's much taller than me, and he has tattoos everywhere that I can't help but look at.

     I wanna be a tattoo artist when I'm older. It's the only reason I took Art as an A-Level.

     "Bye." I say awkwardly, shuffling over to the door.

     He hums in response, walking into their living room. I exhale a small breath when I get outside and the door is shut behind me.