13

• AMALIA •

I inhale a breath before calling Frankie. I put the phone on speaker. Part of me is scared for what his reaction will be, but I know I shouldn't be. He'll understand.

"Hey, Amalia." He picks up on the fourth ring. "You okay?"

"Yeah. I just wanted to tell you that I won't be able to come tomorrow." I say. I don't want to tell him that I have a stalker, so instead I settle for: "I'm grounded. I have to stay home."

     He's silent for a moment before: "oh. Okay."

     I'm about to apologise when he adds: "I've got to go. My dad's calling me. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

     "Alright. Bye—"

     He hangs up.

     I sigh.

"Amalia!" Grayson knocks on my door before letting himself in. "Cole and I are staying the night. And dad told me to tell you to call him."

     "Okay."

     A small river of relief flows through me when he tells me that they're both staying. They won't let me get hurt, I know that. They're strong, too, which brings a little bit of peace to my mind.

     "Who were you calling?" He asks.

     I frown. "Did you just stand outside my door and listen?"

     "Yes." He replies. "I didn't want to interrupt. It's not my fault you had him on speaker and you were talking loudly."

     "You're so nosy."

     "No, I'm just interested in what my baby sister is doing. Was that who you were supposed to go out with?"

     I nod.

     Sympathy suddenly fills his features. "I know you wanted to go, but it's best if you stay home. You understand that, don't you?"

     "Yeah." I reply.

     "And you promise you're not going to try anything?" He questions.

"Promise." I reply quietly.

"Good. Because if you even try to sneak out, I'll beat you up." He says.

     I burst out laughing.

     His eyebrows knit together. "What? I could."

"Yeah. But you won't."

He rolls his eyes but doesn't deny it. I smile as I thumb through my contacts, landing on my dads. I press call, and he answers a second later.

     "Hi, baby." His voice fills the speakers, and my shoulders relax. "Are you okay?"

     "Yeah." I reply. "Grayson's here."

"Helloooooo." My sibling says.

"Hi, Gray." My dad says. "Did your brothers tell you you're not going?" Straight to the point.

I sigh. "Yep."

"I know you want to, Amalia, but you just need to stay in for a few days until everything is sorted. It'll be fine." He tells me.

     "Okay." I respond.

     "Alright, I'll let you go now. But message me before you go to bed."

     "I will."

     "Bye, baby."

     "Bye."